Install disk goes bad

Wondering if anyone has had this problem. Yesterday I had to reformat and reload my operating system on my new computer's hard drive (long story). Anyway, after I reloaded the operating system (Windows XP Media Center) the first thing I naturally did was put in my CMBB install disk to reload my favorite game and to my consternation the computer would freeze up (i.e. not respond) after I double-clicked on the CMBB Install file. So, I thought maybe something was wrong with the computer so I put the disk in my wife's laptop hoping I could reload it through her computer and send it to my computer through a shared file on our 802.11 wireless LAN network for the house. No luck there either. The disk freezes up when she double-click's too. Any ideas what could be causing this and recommended solution? Do I need a new disk?

I think I am stuck.

v. Nev

Is this the CDV version or the BFC/Internet version of the game ? Are BOTH computers running Windows XP ?

You may want to try (if you have the available disk space) to copy the file(s) off of the CD and run the install from your hard drive (with the CD still in the drive if the install looks for it).

This is a BFC version and both computers are running Windows XP. The strange thing is that before the operating system was reloaded I used that disk to load CMBB on the system. No problem. I did not try it on my wife's laptop because it worked on mine so there was no reason to.

I am going to try to copy it first to the harddrive.

Copying the file may be the best method. You can also attempt to manually extract the file with WinRAR and see if that helps.

When did you get CMBB; did you pre-order it and get it in the first wave ? If so there's a possibility that your CD is 'defective'. This was usually indicated by a somewhat 'milky' appearance to some areas of the CD data surface. Other issues ended up being the incompatibility of some CD/DVD drives to read the disc properly, while others would.

Was Windows XP on your computer initially when you installed CMBB ? Usually this is only an issue when attempting to run CMBB/CMBO and the copy-protection check fails (because the CD/DVD drive and its drivers under XP report back an erroneous disc size - which causes the check to fail). I can't remember if there were any issues with installing under XP; you may have to do a search to find if there are any releveant threads on that.

Why did you re-install CMBB anyway?

If you installed CMBB on a partition other than C, you dont have to re-install CM after a format C/install Window$

CMBB does not install ANY files in the register so you can start the game again after the install of your OS.

Monty

WinRAR is compression utility. It's a slightly different compression format from ZIP files. It has a higher compression ratio (smaller files). The file on the CMBB CD is a self-extracting RAR archive. WinRAR is the utility that will allow you to manually extract any file in that archive.

Some installation problems with the CMBB CDs involved getting most of the way through the extraction before the last set of files would give an error (typically scenario files in the archive).

As for reinstalling CMBB - he probably has, like a vast majority of PC users, only one partition on his hard drive - mandating that he reinstall all of his programs. I don't think many people today bother with dividing their hard drives into several partitions unless it is to install another OS.

Aha

Using only 1 partition seems asking for problems hehehe

(maybe less with Windows XP, but with W98 re-install of OS was necessary frequently)

I have used numerous times DriveImage to set back a copy of my C partition after some strange problems.

Back to business in 5 minutes smile.gif

Monty

Schrullenhaft,

I wanted to extend my thanks for helping on this. CMBB is back in business! The WinRAR program definitely helped. The issue must have been something to do with the computer struggling with the fully loaded CD. What is strange is that I did not have this problem before (i.e. I have already installed CMBB on this computer with the same disk).

I tried to just copy the install.exe file to my harddrive and it took forever (15 minutes) and then failed. So I used the WinRAR program and extracted the files to the harddrive and it worked except for the last few files then failed. At least I got the game files extracted. I was still missing the scenario files but those I was able to recover from a CD-R I made of all the scenarios and saved games prior to dumping the OS. Now I know you may be asking what I didn't back up the whole CMBB files, well, I didn't think I would have this problem.

Thanks again! :D:D:D

v. Nev

P.S. The drive is not partitioned. Never had a reason to do it. Maybe I should look into that more.