Air Support and Winning?

rogue187

How do you actually make Air Support useful? I have been trying to play the Battles and I am getting some aspects of the game but not others. In the Razor's Edge Battle, I tend to call for air support early and of couse the computer calls in fighters. So I get 3 support calls, but I have never had even my first wave ever survive. If I am REALLY lucky they may even kill one thing over three or four strafe runs before they get shot down. What am I doing wrong? Should I wait longer to call in support, or will the AI always call in fighters every time I call in an air strike?

Also, has anyone beaten any mission yet? I find that even when I am doing somewhat ok, I loose just enough strengh to not be reinforced and then the AI decides to streamroll me at that point. For example, in the Polish campaign I kept everything default for the first battle, but my entire force was wiped out while the Germans lost 8 tanks and 20 men. Are my guys that pathetic?

I'm not sure why you haven't won any missions yet... maybe you need to employ some more strategic planning.

I've won a few missions, except only the ones that I am attacking on. I've still never won a mission where I had to defend.

Defending is definitely a different story.

My problem with the first polish mission is that I start off fine, but by the time my reinforcements arrive, the Germans are getting PZ IVs into battle. These tanks consistantly come in on my right side behind my trench line and wipe out everything. Needless to say my tanketts cant kill them and all of my AT guns have been knocked out. Even the towed gun usually gets killed while its trying to be set up. I am really unsure of what to do.

Defending is not that problematic, its the assault and then defend that can be a "bit" tricky. The answer in the first Polish mission are the 75mm guns placed somwhere in the back. They can shoot the crapp out of any tanks in that mission. Even two of the reinforcing tanketes managed to blast one tank each. That was a pleasant surprise considering I was playing on realistic, but that means it was realistic smile.gif )

Rogue, try to conceal your AT guns in bushes or behind tree lines. I noticed that this made a huge difference !!! (don't leave the guns as they stand at the beginning of the setup, or you are toast ;)

Then concentrate 75 mm AT fire on the heaviest panzers (Panzer II, then PIV). Re-crew all the guns as fast as possible when the get hit.

To counter the last tank assault on the right, you can do the following :

- set up the towed AT gun as fast a possible in the forest (on the left hand side of the road) and wait for the panzers to reach the top of the hill

- move your AT tankettes a bit forward and position them to ambush the incoming german tanks, but don't go to far otherwise they will be destroyed by incoming fire from tanks still in the valley.

BTW you have time to move one or two tankettes to your right flank (behind the village then up the road). From there, they can get side shots on the incoming germans (pretty effective indeed).

Hope this helps !

JH