ToW and Vista - Simhq preview

Reichenberg

There is a new preview out on simhq.

They are pretty positive about the game - One question comes up while reading it: Battlefront stated before, that they would have no problems running ToW on Windows Vista..... The guys of simhq had quite a few problems and could not get ToW to run properly on Vista.

Any additional (and hopefully final) word about the Vista compatibility of ToW from Battlefront or 1C? Is it still valid what rune posted in this thread

Originally posted by rune:

I have it running on Vista and it works as long as you have a newer video driver then what comes on the Vista DVD.

Rune

I would just think that the guys from simhq would check with Battlefront and install the latest video drivers if they come along such severe problems......

Uwe

Yep, playing a multiplayer game right now, a Vista Ultimate 64bit vs a Vista Ultimate 32 bit system. Running great on both computers. You absolutely MUST have the newer drivers, the ones that ship with Vista broke a bunch of games, abd actually are updated after install if you do an auto update then apply.

Rune

Last word in that preview out on simhq:

"But please Battlefront and 1C, fix the lack of building entrance by ground troops."

I hope in one of the next patches they will fix that...

And a maybe a little bit "particle - effects" like this one:

http://www.2404.org/smull/Faces.of.War_Dont.Stop.Me.avi

or lower quality

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=6191353760391783097&hl=en-CA

Look at this amazing effects of blowing and hitting from shells and projectiles in a game...

[ March 27, 2007, 05:38 AM: Message edited by: Kettenhund ]

Positive preview....

I love this statement: Theatre of War looks to be a serious contender for the best real time strategy wargame ever created. It is polished, realistic and certainly going to be a challenge for anyone who enjoys the genre. ;)

*I do agree, and thought some time ago the comments about, map size, no entering buildings and sparse trees will be a bone of contention. Patched or TOW2 perhaps?

I found one thing that got me worried after reading that preview:

Buildings are present in the game, but unfortunately the developers were never able to really get the infantry to use them properly. This means that infantry cannot set-up in buildings. Snipers can’t fire from church steeples, machine guns can’t set-up from inside houses and soldiers can’t take cover in basements when indirect fire comes down on them. While not a total game stopper, it is a real problem in a game that is trying to present total realism. If there is one real patch that the team really needs to work on, it is this problem. I don’t care how they fix it, but they need to fix the inability to get into buildings. Cover and concealment are the biggest protectants of the infantry and eliminating buildings is tantamount to leaving them hung out to dry.
Hmmm... so we cannot use any buildings at all for soldiers not even defense?

That was an error on my part based upon the game not wanting to run on my X64 operating system and the fact that the game wouldn't run on a second previewer's Vista based system. The IL2 series seems to have some troubles with Vista so I assumed it was an engine related problem.

We have corrected it in the preview and Magnum is getting his system geared up for the final review. I hope his problems are gone when the final game is out.