Dual core CPU and SLI graphics Support?

ksp58

Does the game support dual core CPU configurations and SLI graphics solutions like the Nvidia 7950GX2 or 2x7900GTX? How much more performance can we expect with such configurations, versus single CPU and Single GPU configurations?

Don't know about dual core, but I think any time spent optimizing the game for performance on the ridiculous SLI/Crossfire arrangements is wasted effort. They represent such a miniscule part of the overall customer base.

SLI doesn't need any fancy support by the application programmer, it's amost completely transparent.

SMP-aware applications take a huge effort if the application isn'tdesigned from scratch to be parallel. Many games these days find some work to do "on the side" which is better than nothing (in particular if it s the AI or somesuch). But a true parallel design that doesn't limit the use of additional processors to "side work" is probably out of question, as it has been previously said that the developers are "in contact with Intel to make the game dual-core available" - which doesn't help one bit.

• 4 weeks later...

Here it is, from the latest Blog:

"...Part of this is thanks to us becoming a Software Partner of Intel and piloting one of their new marketing aids called Campaign Center. Theatre of War is multi-core enabled and optimized, so don't be surprised if you start seeing the Intel logos on some of those ads or even on our site as "officially licensed Intel partner" soon...."

You cannot just take a single-threaded program and make it multi-threaded with just some "advice from Intel".

I guess we'll see after release how much use it makes of second cores, or more.

[ October 06, 2006, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Redwolf ]

From the gamut of games I have seen, some are dual-core capable (but with varying degrees of 2nd core utilization)-- others run fine with dual-core but don't support the second core.

And there are other mostly older games that will crash unless you disable one of the two cores in the system. Luckily, that is easy to do.