How do the Campaigns flow ?

stone75

Hi all,

Was looking at the games features and was wondering how the campaigns work. The feature page says,

"5 Historical Campaigns, each with unique units and equipment – US, UK, Soviet, German, French and

Polish"

So does this mean we get a campaign for each country here or can we fight each of the five from either side ? I ask this as there are 6 countries listed for only 5 campaigns unless US/UK fight the same campaign.

Also i assume the campaigns are linear as i have read that each mission is dynamically scripted (ie scripted to play with random chances of reinforcements etc but generally the same setup) How will this effect the longevity of a campaign ? quote" Over 40 historically accurate campaign missions based on real WWII battles" Divide this by 5 campaigns and you get 8 missions per country.

Will the player be able to create a longer campaigns or will this be the domain of addons ? I hope my experienced troops dont run out of fights before they get half a chance. I think what made the Close combat III so appealing to me was the fighting through the war with a core unit. The rolling back and forth over maps was good too.

I hope you dont see any of this post as a moan, im merely stunned by the visuals and scale of the battles, i only hope the campaigns follows suite.

Thanks, Steve..

UK and US indeed share the "Allied" campaign.

Campaign lengths vary. The longest campaign spanning the entire war is the German one IIRC. Some, like the Polish and the French ones, are shorter.

Campaign missions are linear (you play each mission in succession), but you keep your core units (plus captured equipment if any) and also the other troops available to you depend on your previous successes or failures, so each campaign mission plays differently (including some additional random elements). While you don't have the back and forth of a strategic layer map, there is a lot of replayability in those missions (also because many of them are tough! I probably just suck, but I can rarely win at first attempt. Each mission is not a simple one-objective affair, but often has 3 or 4 or more sub-missions, some of which are only revealed during the mission - like counterattacks. Many missions will run for over an hour)

Players will be able to manipulate all the missions that come with the game. Not sure if we can add a full featured editor (probably not for first release), but at least it will be possible to change units, setups, weather etc. via XML files (which is not perfect but better than nothing, and XML files are easy to understand even for people not familiar with it).

Martin

Thanks,

That about explains what i needed to know. Sounds like this game will really hit the mark. Deffinately looking forward to a long german campaign. Scenario building is also a big part for me with plenty of reference material to make historic campaigns. If editors are not in the first release, maybe by the time ive had my fill of the scenarios on offer, an addon will be on its way smile.gif Looking forward to both a demo and release, hopefully before christmas when time off work is avaliable..

Thanks again,

Steve..

Moon:

" The longest campaign spanning the entire war is the German one IIRC. Some, like the Polish and the French ones, are shorter."

*g*

" Each mission is not a simple one-objective affair, but often has 3 or 4 or more sub-missions"

just don't makle it a puzzle adventure... find the key for the lock so you can enter the bridge that takes you to the mystery lair..

smile.gif