Live Mouse Reporting ?

sebastian

Some screens indicate, that there will be live mouse reporting (small panel displays information about the unit, the mouse cursor is on):

http://www.worthplaying.com/press/221/Theatre_of_War_153.jpg

Or is it just the unit targeted by the selected unit?

Live mouse reporting was one of the coolest features in Close Combat. Howerver in this screen:

http://www.worthplaying.com/press/221/Theatre_of_War_139.jpg

the small panel only displays information about a single soilder, instead his whole squad.

Compared to the CC-panels, ToW seems to waste much space, for less information. In CC you had no soilders faces, but small icons which indicated the state of the soilder with their color. You could easilly display inforamtion about a whole squad, in such a little panel, and the colors had a faster perception than numbers.

Yes, you will get a little pop up on any unit you mouse over, so if thats called "Live Mouse Reporting (which is a new term to me) then YES, thats what you get in ToW.

The reason it's different in the second screenshot is because you can't see where the mouse is placed and I was probably on a soldier and not the gun itself.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Yes, you will get a little pop up on any unit you mouse over, so if thats called "Live Mouse Reporting (which is a new term to me) then YES, thats what you get in ToW.

Thats good news, thanks!

How will interrupted LOS be indicated? Will there be partlly interrupted LOS, like in CC where a single tree, smoke or dust only reduced the quality of the LOS, indicated by a darker green line? You still could do direct fire, but it was less effective.

How will kill probabilty / firepower be displayed? In CC the cursor was color coded from black (waste of ammo) to green. In CM it was just text.

I learned the term "Live Mouse Reporting" in the old CM1 forums from one of the BTS guys, when I asked for about it in CM. Must be like 7 years ago. :)

Hehehe, well I am one of the BTS guys and I don't recall that term so it must have been something that Steve pulled outa his ummm....yeah...

As to the other questions, there is no Kill Probablity or firepower ratings shown. Best thing to do is watch and see what results your guys have when they shoot.

As to LOS interuptions, we are still evaulating all of this. But for right now, if you try and target something out of LOS you will get a message from the unit indicating that they dont have LOF or LOS to it.

It really seems that while the UI does give you a lot of info, it tries to do so based on information that would be obvious and not the more "under the hood" abstract calaculations like for instance you might get in CMx1. Thats why you dont get %'s or firepower ratings ever shown.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

As to the other questions, there is no Kill Probablity or firepower ratings shown. Best thing to do is watch and see what results your guys have when they shoot.

I liked the feedback on the kill probablity, that CM and CC gave you. When you make an AT-Gun ambush in a real time game, and you have seconds to decide if to open fire, you cannot study the penetration tables of your gun, the armor tables of the target, estimate the impact angles...

In CC your guys even said something like "We can't scratch that!", if they had no chance to damage a target with their weapon.

But for right now, if you try and target something out of LOS you will get a message from the unit indicating that they dont have LOF or LOS to it.
In a real world battle visual contact is often reduced but not fully interrupted by dust and smoke. CC simulated this quite well. It is also important to show the player, what interuppts the LOS.

Compared to the CC-panels, ToW seems to waste much space, for less information. In CC you had no soilders faces, but small icons which indicated the state of the soilder with their color. You could easilly display inforamtion about a whole squad, in such a little panel, and the colors had a faster perception than numbers.
Keep in mind that CC was top-down only. If you wanted to see a bigger part of the map, you had to have a lot of screen estate for it, because you only had one dimension. Not so in TOW - since the camera is free to move, tilt and pan as you like, you can get a full overview nevertheless.

Having said that - the GUI in TOW can be fully or partially hidden. Most of the screens you see are with the full GUI visible, but depending on your play style you could hide the majority of it and still see the most important info as icons or sometimes as pop-up windows.

Martin