Cover

Kilroy Lurking

Hi!

Is cover abstracted? If for example infantry is advancing over "open Ground" they (as far as the AI knows) are infact making use of "invisible" ground features as cover? Or in other more plainer words IWYSWYG? - Open level ground is...Duh, open level ground?

Sort of connected, do vehicles provide line of sight cover against direct fire?

Finaly on the same theme - CM I think (I remember some old posts?) has a problem (leastwise it gave me a problem) with the way AT/Field guns are coded which allow shots to pass straight through them - A ground hit directly in front of them is needed for a KO. ("A series of misfortunes", anyone?)

Looking forward to this one! David

Eagerly awaiting the release of a good WW2 Naval Sim

As far as I can tell from playtesting, cover is not abstracted, but very much What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get. In other words, it does not work like in CM where the terrain type determined cover, but TOW does simulate all the various details. If you're out in the open, then you're out in the open. If you want to take cover behind a tree, then you have to move your guy behind a tree. This would be hard to manage of course without the help of the tactical AI, which usually takes care of this on its own.

Vehicles and any objects on the map do indeed provide cover and concealment.

It is of course possible to have a shot land behind an at gun but objects in TOW cannot normally have anything pass through them. Guns will move around trees if you orders its crew to move it, and tanks will do the same or, if heavy enough, simply run over the tree.

Martin