Detection of Enemy Units

Sabot3

From Sabot3. I like the Hermes' stealth capability as it forces me to maintain situational awareness on the battlefield or risk getting a load of 20mm in the rear or flanks. I notice that I'm becoming far, far too reliant on the little red icons to tell me where the enemy is at any given moment. If I was going to make a recommendation it would be that an option be available whereby the enemy icons only appear when 1) the enemy unit is under observation by yourself, one of your team or a sensor 2) battle damage (direct or indirect fire) has damaged it's capability to resist detection. I have seen too many excellent hull down positions of both my own and my opponents blown as a result of a little red icon telling them or myself exactly where to look. There should be a reward for picking a good hull down position with good background cover etc, especially for the Apollo 120's and the ATGM carriers. With the current system you are spotted as soon as any part of the vehicle becomes visible or at thats how it appears to me.

Another element that could be added to assist in making this aspect more realistic is to add more significant muzzle flash to the current muzzle obscuration effects. While a unit may be harder to detect without icons while stationary in a good hull down position, the moment it (particularly a tank )opens fire, the muzzle blast should be very, very visible. ATGM's would be less so.

Sabot3