Weaponry

pismox

I mentioned the following two ideas in the recon tank post, but I guess they got buried and overlooked. So here are a couple of technical questions regarding modding the armament's of the vehicles:

1. Can the 120 mm have it's muzzle velocity lowered so that it has less kick? If someone were to arm a recon vehicle with a low velocity, large caliber cannon firing mainly HEAT rounds, it would be an excellent mid-range loadout against medium and light armored vehicles. This way it could have the killing power of the 120 (because the HEAT doesn't rely on KE for penetration but rather the shaped-charge warhead), but the lower velocity would mean that it could be mounted on small vehicles without knocking them over if they fired laterally

2. Can the 120 mm also be configured so that it can fire missle/rocket ammunition. I know that currently two types of missles exist in the game. Can the Thunderbolt ATGM be configured to fire out of the barrel of a 120mm armed AFV? Or does the right angle launch animation make this impossible? I think that having the option of a "wire-guided" ATGM on the low-velocity 120mm mentioned above would give a recon or light attack vehicle the firepower it needs to deal with all vehicles on the battlefield, supposing it were used properly.

Any remarks/answers would be appreciated

Shot velocity and recoil strength are just numbers. A developer could set them to whatever was wanted.

The missile thing I suppose is doable, if not a little ugly with the animation. A more interesting question would be how the guidance/locking interface would work.

Doing the ATGM as a coax hadn''t occurred to me, since I was planning on a 14mm coax MG. Can a vehicle have two coax weapons? It doesn't seem possible since R switches to coax, and i don't know how this would work. It would seem that every time I fired the MG @ enemy infantry, the ATGM would go off too, and vice versa against enemy tanks.

Could it be made as a second primary?

Or could a manipulation of ammunition provide a guided HEAT round (similar to the Copperhead used in modern artillery, except it is high explosive)? This would make its trajectory adjustable in flight, but it would not be able to climb any higher than it does with initial KE of the firing.

R key cycles through all available weapons, so you can have 2 coax, or multiple weapons that aren't even really mounted coaxially at all. If you just want a separate ATGM launcher that's perfectly fine.

There's not any support for a Copperhead style round right now. The only guided weapons supported are missiles.