How DO blasts work?

yurch

It appears all blast-type projectiles (mortars, 120mm HE) have a BasePenetration, a HEBlastDiameter and a HEBlastFragPenetration. I haven't been able to find out what they specifically mean.

If for instance, I have a 120mm HE shell with 45 basepenetration, 15 HEBlastDiameter and 20 HEBlastFragPenetration, what can I expect for:

The penetration of extra shrapnel (point-blank shrapnel adding to whatever damage the basepenetration may cause) from a direct hit?

The distance shrapnel carries and the penetration falloff based on distance?

Burnfactors, fragmentation factors, directkill factors of shrapnel hits?

The density or likelyhood of shrapnel hit to near targets?

Structural integrity damage caused by either the blast or fragmentation?

Terrain displacement degree based on HEBlastDiameter?

What are the stats on the commandtrack fired fire-mission?

HE projectiles first apply damage normally like an AP (kinetic) projectile would, but usually with very low penetration values. This is what you get from the BasePenetration. This penetration value does not degrade with range (so it works like a HEAT round in this respect).

Upon impact, whether they penetrate or not, HE projectiles explode. Extra damage is now dealt to everything within the explosion's radius, including the object which was directly struck (if any).

Shrapnel fragments fly radially out from the detonation point in all directions. The distance at which they might potentially hurt anything is clamped down to the HEBlastDiameter of the HE round * 13.3. Beyond this distance, nothing gets hurt. Within this distance, as you get closer to the detonation point, there is an increased chance of getting hit by fragments IF there is nothing else between you and the detonation. This probability curve is exponential, so the chance of getting hit by fragments falls off with approximately the square of the distance from the blast.

If an object is struck by fragments then the HEBlastFragPenetration is used to determine how much armor those fragments are able to penetrate. Each fragment then does damage against the target just like an AP projectile would (but if they don't penetrate we don't bother to model them ricocheting off into the distance, etc.) This penetration value falls off with distance from the detonation point according to the scenario's atmospheric density just like an AP round would. Because of the HEBlastDiameter clamping described above, this usually means the falloff curve for these is very shallow with an abrupt drop off to zero.

The damage done internally by these fragments has nearly zero burn factor, zero fragmentation factor, and randomized direct kill factor ranging from nearly 0 up to 200 (different size, temperature, and velocity chunks of varying deadliness).

Structural integrity damage is dealt both by the first direct hit of the projectile (if the building was hit directly) and then AGAIN by the blast effects. This is why the HE rounds that actually have blast effects are now being set to 0 for their structural integrtiy damage amounts since there's no point in double counting this damage. The structural integrity damage dealt is a simple linear function of the HEBlastDiameter with an exponential falloff based on distance from the building.

Craters in terrain (if the terrain type allows craters as set in the scenario), are dug at a depth of HEBlastDiameter / 3 and a width of HEBlastDiameter.

Well, just for further clarification, there are no additional modifiers that increase shrapnel penetration, correct?

I could have sworn I've seen penetrations further than the ones listed, but testing currently supports HEBlastFragPenetration being the maximum. Maybe I'm thinking pre-patch.

Edit: and are these penetrations based on armor angle? I'm seeing some shrapnel kills on the hovercraft top/bottom (I assume) with some pretty shallow angles.

edit edit edit: I think I'm going crazy.

[ July 31, 2006, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: yurch ]