Linux Install: FreeType Failure

I'm trying to get DT installed from the CD onto one of my Linux boxes, so that I can host a server for experimenting with custom scenarios/configs, but the install itself is being ... challenging.

I'm running a 32bit Gentoo box. Cleverly, I copied the CD to a hard dtive to make the install go a wee bit speedier.

The current environment contains:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/local2/tmp/cdrom/DropTeamInstall/InstallData/lib:/local2/tmp/cdrom/DropTeamInstall/:/usr/lib</pre>

So to summarize, the SquidLord is trying to not only install from his own local copy, but also while remotely connected to the Linux box through a session of X. You could probably also balance a plate on your head throughout the install and maybe only allow yourself to use one hand for both keyboard and mouse.

I jest, O Lord of the Tentacled People...

That failure means that the truetype font for the installer wasn't found. What directory are you running the installer from, and how exactly are you running it? This error is probably caused by the install process's working directory not being what it expects to be, so the fix will probably simply be a matter of running it from the right place.

After that easy fix, we might then have a harder issue to face, which is that the installer is a nice graphical installer that uses OpenGL. We'll have to see how that gets forwarded to your cygwin X server (she might simply poop in the night).

Luckily, this is Linux, and the install program is just a lot of unnecessary fluff. Let's try to resolve it based on your answer to the question above but it continues to be difficult we can simply (and very easily) do the install manually from a shell and get you going.

I'd have responded minutes after you posted this, but my WoW group wanted to do some killin'.

I like killin'.

So to summarize, the SquidLord is trying to not only install from his own local copy, but also while remotely connected to the Linux box ...
Worse, its one of my three Linux servers, all running different distributions, and none of which with an actual hardwired console attached; I access them all through ssh and X from my Windows box. smile.gif

I'm actually trying to run it from down in InstallData, but its not being very friendly about it. In fact, its downright hostile when it wants a very specific version of the SDL libraries, and then comes back with:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">./runLinuxInstall: line 2: 25207 Illegal instruction LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./InstallData/lib/:/usr/lib ./InstallData/bin/LinuxInstall</pre>

And in case you need them, here are the steps for a manual install (this is what we do on our colocated headless servers, for example). This assumes you copied the CD to ~/DTCD and are installing to ~/DropTeam, so substitute as needed.

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">cd ~/DTCD/DropTeamInstall

mkdir ~/DropTeam

cp InstallData/LinuxBinaries.zip.bz2 ~/DropTeamBinaries.zip.bz2

bunzip2 -f -q ~/DropTeamBinaries.zip.bz2

unzip -o ~/DropTeamBinaries.zip -d ~/DropTeam/

rm -rf ~/DropTeamBinaries.zip.bz2

rm -rf ~/DropTeamBinaries.zip

unzip -o InstallData/data.zip -d ~/DropTeam/</pre>

And don't do that, Squiddy - yikes. If it comes to that then let's just do the manual install which is pretty simple (but won't work if files like that have been - ah - "improved" in any way).
Er ... [hides tentacles behind back]

Actually, the extract worked pretty well. In the sense that it was happy to be pulled out, the directories looked fine, and the scripts looked sane.

Mind you, running from the top of the CD with no modification results in:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">./runLinuxInstall: line 3: 31527 Illegal instruction LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:./InstallData/lib/ ./InstallData/bin/LinuxInstall</pre>

here are the steps for a manual install
I actually puzzled most of that out myself, already ... but similar issues were in the offing.

The Illegal Instruction error seems endemic to one of the libraries, and even pops up after the wget in Update, which is actually what makes me think its a lib issue and not an executable issue, as such.

Re SSE.

Already checked.

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">processor : 0

vendor_id : AuthenticAMD

cpu family : 6

model : 3

model name : AMD Duron Processor

stepping : 1

cpu MHz : 799.740

cache size : 64 KB

fdiv_bug : no

hlt_bug : no

f00f_bug : no

coma_bug : no

fpu : yes

fpu_exception : yes

cpuid level : 1

wp : yes

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr pni syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow

bogomips : 1564.67</pre>