New at Mods

I have never attempted to make a modification to any of my games so before I start one I have a quick question.

Do I need to make a second copy of the game or can I just do changes without effecting the game until I move them into the campaign start area.

I dont want to mess up my game by making changes and having those changes effect the basic game without testing my concepts first.

Please advise.

Thanks

No second copy needed. Just open up the Editor, create a new campaign or open an existing campaign, and rename it whatever you want.

For example, open up Fall Weiss 1939 and rename it 1939 Mod. Once you save it, you see a new 1939 Mod.cgn file and _1939 Mod campaign folder. In the new campaign folder, you can set things like customized bitmaps, sound and interface and update the initialization file. And then, away you go. All this is explained in the SC2 User Manual.