Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

laptop crashes

Hello,

I have just purchased CMBB (I have heard so many great critics about it) and I installed it on my laptop (Toshiba T8200 - pentium III - windows 2000).

I had some problems: sometimes the mouse stopped working -eg after selecting a unit- and the whole application is locked... as well as the PC (even ctrl alt del did not work); sometimes the application locks along with the PC but the mouse still moves (of course without any impact).

I have changed my direct x ( i now have 9.0) but the problem remains.

I read in the documentation that I should update the drivers, but I am not familiar at all with video cards and drivers (where can I find info on that ? how do i know what is installed on my pc ?). Since the laptop is used for my job I did not dare changing anything else.

CAn anyone help ?

NB the display tab of the directx diagnostic tool says that the device is Trident video Accelarator Cyberblade xp - 16 MB - 1024 x 768

all tests were good

To be honest an upgrade to DirectX 9.0 would probably do nothing to solve anyone's problems with CM right now.

Do you know which version of the video driver you have ? You can get the latest from here (the URL is too long for UBB, so you'll have to copy and paste and put a 'www' in front of it):

.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modItemList.jsp?ProductMenu_0=Portables&ProductMenu_1=Tecra&ProductMenu_2=1073794567&BV_SessionID=@@@@0767527587.1042052526@@@@&BV_EngineI]ww w.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modItemList.jsp?ProductMenu_0=Portables&ProductMenu_1=Tecra&ProductMenu_2=1073794567&BV_SessionID=@@@@0767527587.1042052526@@@@&BV_EngineID= cccfadchejjllmgcgfkceghdgngdgli.0&moid=1073794567&smoid=true&ct=DL&ListType=Model&x=26&y=8

This URL will take you to the download location for the Toshiba Tecra 8200. I suggest applying the ACPI BIOS update if you don't have v. 1.60, however be VERY CAREFUL to read all of the instructions (including having your laptop powered by AC). If you have problems with this update you may have to send your laptop in for service.

You can also try (though I don't know if it will work with the Toshiba) Trident's OEM drivers.

My experience with CMBB and Trident video chipsets has not been positive. I had problems with some of the initial selection screens in CMBB with the Trident boards I tried. The 3D screens were OK, but lacked several features.

I'm not sure if there's going to be a solution for you with this laptop. This is one of the major problems with laptops - they're not geared towards playing 3D games and their drivers see far fewer updates than most desktop-oriented chipsets. At least in your case the video isn't a 'shared memory' scheme, which is an even worse situation for gaming.

I'd also suggest unloading anything that may be running in the background and turning off any power-saving features/programs.

[ January 08, 2003, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply. Since I am away the whole WE (to Paris for gaming) and that I 'll be in London next week (for working, nothing is perfect) I will have a deep look on monday to your advices. I 'll keep you informed, that may help somebody else having the same kind of problem.

Thank you for your help.

I downloaded the BIOS you pointed from Toshiba plus the latest version they proposed for the graphic card (more than one year old thouhg)

I reinstalled the game and ... it worked for 7 turns in a row without any problem. Then, it crashed again but I can start doing a few things provided I save regularly the game.

Any further thoughts ?