Bug or intentional?

Rampage

Maybe I'm being stupid, you tell me. In an effort to try to learn the game without trying anyone else's patience I'm trying to run a dedicated server game in which I'm the only human player allowed. The idea being that I can test all kinds of options and deployments at my leisure, counting on the "relative inflexibility" of bots to not interfere too much. Here's the difficulty - if I set maxclients to 1, every time there are zero vehicles available when it comes time to drop. If I set maxclients to anything other than 1, I get the normal multiple counts of vehicles available. I cannot seem to find any particular parameter that determines counts of assets available. So I've been setting maxclients to 2, but then the problem is, even though I name the game something like "TestGamePleaseDontJoin" some yahoo seems to take that as an invitation to be an a--hole and joins. So is there a way to only allow one human but have normal asset counts? Am I missing something? Is this a bug? Gimmee a clue, someone, please?

I realize it's a multiplayer public test, Drusus. Since LAN games are not an option at this point (according to some other post I read) I have assumed that in order for a game to be accessible by other computers it would be necessary for it to be "registered" to some central server (kinda like a Battlezone game being registered on a GameSpy server, if that makes sense), meaning that unplugging would prevent registration, and cause the game to not be visible to other computers. But I'll try your suggestion tonight after work, and if it works, thanks for the correction!

Unplug the cable after joining your server. This has worked for me. If you start unplugged, I don't think the game will work. Ofcourse this can be done with firewall, too.

If you are trying to run a dedicated server, that is you try to join the game from a different computer, I think you could block traffic to the server except for the "registering" of the server. And ofcourse unblock your client machine...

You're not being stupid, Rampage - DropTeam is, at least on version 0.9.45. With the next release, the inventory no longer scales with the max number of clients - it simply obeys the inventory settings for your server (or scenario, for those scenarios that set their own inventories). So on the next update, you would be able to do this maxclients 1 thing without problems.

If you want to run standalone server on a LAN you can try using the direct play option.

1) Block UDP port 9967 (your server port) access from the Internet.

2) Start server using default port 9967.

3) Start client and select -> network tab -> direct play

4) Enter server IP address

5) Select Join Game.

Step one blocks other clients from joining your server (or you unplug the Internet side of your PAT router).