Test client not launching

Mobile Target

I wondered if anyone else has experienced this problem - the test client (DropTeam.exe) just won't launch!

I've had a search for similar problems, but everyone else seems at least to get to some kind of download/ update screen, or a server selection before hitting problems.

I manage to get only a few seconds of black screen, followed by Windoze desktop with a send/ don't send error report window.

Naturally, my first response was to update video drivers (since I think they were pre-catalyst 6.2), but even the latest version (6.4) following an uninstall of the old version and more reboots that you can wave a POST at didn't help.

A consistent feature of the error logs is:

DropTeam caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)

in module DropTeam.exe at 001b:00000000.

System as follows:

ASUS A7N8X Motherboard V2.0 (NForce 2 chipset)

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 333MHz FSB Processor clocked at 2.1GHz

1024MB 333 DDR RAM

Win2K Pro SP 4

ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB Video Card

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Martin.

Hmmm, I've now gotten theis working, but I wish I could say how...

It appeared to be an openGL problem, despite my having the latest drivers...

I installed the ATI control panel (as well as the drivers) so I could have a fiddle with OpenGL settings. While I didn't actually change anything, it suddenly started to work again.

Wish I could report something more tangible to you all!

Hi, Mobile.

DropTeam caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)

in module DropTeam.exe at 001b:00000000.

That NULL address (00000000) is a clear indicator of OpenGL drivers not being installed. It's a 0 because a required (and very basic) OpenGL extension was not found in your OpenGL dll. It must be that on your first pass with the ATI drivers, the OpenGL drivers were not installed. When you installed again with the ATI control panel, then the OpenGL drivers were successfully installed.

I wonder if the Catalyst download with control center is required to get real OpenGL support? If so, that might be confusing (and crashing) a lot of ATI users out there. Has anyone else had this experience?