Graphics bug with ATI Radeon 9550 and shadows

DrWoood

If I turn on shadows I get some very weird video effects; things like the ground surface disappearing, funny polygons, moving turrets leaving a 'trail', one time the ice world and its objects ware bright green with the textures all funny. With shadows off the video is fine.

Apart from this bug DropTeam runs fine and is very fun. The only other issue I have had is that I sometimes get a 'server not responding" message when a game starts and usually I have to load the game in again. It would be nice if this could say a bit more as it can be a bit frustrating after waiting a few minutes for the game to load/init.

My video card is a 256mb ASUS ATI Radeon 9550.

AMD Athlon 2800XP with 512 meg of ram running Windows XP Home Edition Build 2600.

I was using DropTeam Public Test v0.9.41 when I got this bug.

My game loads just fine, takes about 1-2 minutes to load a scenario but I have a question for you cos our comps are somewhat similar:

Does your DropTeam have huge slowdowns if there is alot of artillery and smoke going on? Do you sometimes get freezes of few seconds? I mean, slowdowns are natural, but huge freezes aren't.

I don't always have massive slowdowns, but when I do, game becomes unplayable. Maybe it depends on server.

My specs are AMD Athlon 2700 XP, 1Gb RAM, Radeon 9700 128 Mb.

You have more memory in your video card though.

I do get some big slowdowns w/ artillery, especially if they call in fire, usually there has to be alot and it for me it seems to go down to about 1fps but only rarely - sometimes I have foliage off to increase the FPS.

I occasionally get a problem when initing, it says "Press Return to Continue" and I press Return and it takes a while to respond, sometimes this can lead to a crash. I think it is when there are other tasks in the background and the CPU is doing alot of work.

• 3 weeks later...

An interesting development with version 0.9.43:

If I select shadows now, when a game inits (after loading cachine etc. and pressing return) the image of the battlefield and list of who is on what team is there still for a second and then I get a black screen of death! Wow! The monitor goes black and the LED goes from green to orange like it would if there was no input. Ctrl-Alt-Delete and Alt-Tab don't do anything and I have to press reset to restart the computer.

I have reproduced this three times at different resolutions and it only happens when shadows is enabled.

I suspect that such a spectacular crash would be something wrong with my firmware. My driver is called 'ASUS A9550 Series' with driver provider ATI Technologies, date 24/05/2005 version 6.14.10.6542 . I will try updating or replacing it and provide a post when I find out how that goes.