Strategic Morale

CMBB has morale built in at the tactical level but I have not been able to pinpoint if troop morale plays out at the CMC level. In other words, if troops are cut off from their parent unit or flanked at the strategic map level do they suffer a morale loss and become less effective as a fighting force (e.g., lower morale to start a battle, desertions before battle). They could become less responsive to certain orders like attacking or advancing but highly responsive to moving back towards their own line!

Of course, this could be mitigated by the eliteness or quality of the troops (e.g., Volksturm vs. SS, conscript vs. elite) to some extent.

I would consider this a crucial element of this type of game as it would mimic reality. Troops get panicky when they here rumors/reality of enemy movements to cut them off and start thinking more about saving their own skin then retaining coherency as a fighting force.

This is also one way a smaller force could defeat a larger force. To make an unexpected appearance in an unexpected place (surprise!) can have a devastating effect on troop morale. The annals of war are filled with such victories.

[ October 21, 2005, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Urban Shocker ]

gamescreen_full.jpg

The left panel in this screenshot would seem to indicate the status of an ME at the operational level.

It shows what I take to be the characteristics of the commander and the 'readiness' rating of the unit.

These will probably have some influence on how well the unit reacts to orders, but no sign of morale as such.

'Strategic' morale is included in the 'Readiness' statistic for the Maneuver Element. Leadership stat of the leader of the ME also affects the morale of troops in battle.

Readiness will decrease if they run out of supplies, lose battles, win battles (but not as much as losing), suffer casualties, etc

And the third stat is aggressiveness, not readiness. Its not morale based.