Dynamic Patrols

finkster

Hi Guys:

I haven't reviewed all the posts on this forum, so bear with me if I am repeating something already thought of.

Before battle is joined, there is a period of information gathering by both sides. One of the principal means of gathering this information is the patrol. Patrols are sent out to determine battlefield geography, the location, type, and strength of enemy forces, to capture prisoners, to map for artillery barrages, and to prevent the enemy from patrolling.

I have always thought it would be terrific to have patroling integrated into Combat Mission, along with attack, probe, assault, etc. Patroling is probably the most frequently ordered activity on or near tne battlefield, and is (or can be) the context for very interesting small unit infantry actions.

I would faint with pleasure if Combat Mission Campaigns had a patroling function, which would integrate into the game such that the higher level commanders could order patrols to seek particular information, and that information from successful patrols could be integrated back into the game. A down side could be the general level of fatigue of a force would rise if patrols were ordered 24x7.

Front line outposts, listening posts, etc. could then all be realistically integrated into the game, along with a realistic reason for night combat, something usually shunned by most players for its unpredictability.

I've posted a couple of times now about how reconnaissance will be done in CM:C and you are correct that having the engine treat intelligence gathering abstractly is certainly an option.

I think patrolling is an extremely crucial skill to have in infantry units. There are several types of patrols, though, and you touch on some of them.

Contact patrols would be sent out to tie a unit in with a neighbouring unit or subunit.

Fighting patrols would be sent out specifically to harass the enemy, deny ground or routes to enemy patrols, or capture prisoners for interrogation/unit identification. These could be squad sized, often were platoon sized, or could even included an entire company, though by then "raid" might be more descriptive than "patrol."

All the stuff you mention was integral to frontline occupation - OPs, patrols, etc. From what limited info is available, it may be that this "stuff" will be abstracted - I think CM:C could do that well without going into detail - a regimental commander might call for a patrol to be sent out, but wouldn't pick the squad of men himself, so there is a case to be made for simply letting the CM:C engine "handle" intelligence matters.

Were you suggesting that patrols be handled in CMBB during the 60 minute game turns? I'd be against this, but I don't think that's what you're lobbying for. Do you mean to say the player should be able to select squads/platoons from his ME's to perform certain types of patrols? If this could be done it would be certainly interesting and add one more layer of realism to the operational setting. But for all intents and purposes wouldn't be strictly "necessary" if the practical results were simply minor changes in fatigue for participating units, and changes in available intelligence which can simply be calculated and displayed on the operational grid.

You're correct in that strict patrol routines do have negative impacts on fatigue, readiness, and even morale if soldiers are left to feel they are being exposed to danger for no real immediately apparent gain. "Dominating No Man's Land" was not just a feature of the Great War.

Originally posted by Peterk:

Actually scoutng for the location of things like fixed strongpoints - trenches, pillboxes, etc. may have to be done in CMBB because they may not become fixed until the defender places them in CMBB.

Excellent point; however - and I have no idea if this will be addressed in CM:C or not - you could simulate a prior reconnaissance of fixed strongpoints by simply revealing some, none or all fortifications during the setup phase - which would be a major change to the way the current CMBB game operates.