Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Direct Sound Problem

SMS

P4 1.4ghz

GF3Ti5oo

512RAM

SoundMaxIntegratedAudio

Win2Kpro SP2

Occasionally I lose direct sound and hence the sounds in my COMBB are not available upon game start-up.

I don't know what triggers this situation, but it seems to occur after I've been on the internet for a while (direct sound checked ok on cmptr start-up).

When I run Dxdiag there is no indication of a problem untill I attempt the functionallity test of direct sound and I hear nothing.

Turning off the Zone Alarm and Anti-Virus programs after this situation developes doesn't help.

The sounds in my other games such as IL2, and Ghost Recon work fine inspite of the failed direct sound issue.

Rebooting the cmptr restores direct sound, and the sounds to the COMBB game.

Anyone have an idea of what my problem may be ,and how to fix it, other than rebooting?

I can only guess that this may be a driver issue (or some other software conflict). It is interesting that the other games will play the audio when the DirectX Diagnostic has problems. However the other two games you mention may be running in OpenGL, which could be utilizing a different method of accessing the audio.

What motherboard do you have ? Do you know which version of the SoundMax drivers you have ? Do you know which ADI 188x chip you have (1881 & 1885 are the most common, I believe that there may be other variants).

Most of the drivers I can find are from major manufacturers (IBM, Compaq, etc.) and they may specify particular versions. What is the exact version of SoundMax that you're running (i.e. - 5.xxx.xxxx) ?

Thank you for your interest. Your questions have caught me flat-footed, and I'm going to have to call the retailer tommorrow to come up with the info requested.

1. The SoundMaxIntegrated Digital Audio Drivers are listed as provided by "ANALOG DEVICES" and the version is: 5.12.1.3030

2. Short of dragging out the cmptr and looking inside, I don't know how to determine the motherboard discription. The specs listed by the retailer lists a: Intel 845GB Motherboard, but I don't know for sure (The cmptr is a put-together job by a local-yokel firm. (I been looking for the installation disk, and apparently didn't receive one). The system info lists an Intel®845 chipset Processor and Intel® 82802 Firmware

3. Don't know how to determine the ADI 188x chip, or even what it is.

Is there somewhere in Windows I can find the answers to your questions regarding Motherboard, and ADI chip?

ADI is Analog Devices.

If you have a good motherboard manual, then it may tell you the ADI chip or possibly provide actual pictures of the motherboard itself. Often the chip will be near the back of the motherboard near the audio output jacks and the PCI slots.

Assuming that you have an Intel D845GBV motherboard (which has an ADI 1981A sound chip) you can get your v. 5.12.01.3503b SoundMax driver here (under the Windows 2000 section). You'll want to uninstall your current SoundMax driver first.

[ October 02, 2002, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Thank you for taking the trouble to research the link to the sound drivers.

I don't have the motherboard manual, and have not yet confirmed with the retailer my exact motherboard, but you have provided me with the knowledge I need to further pursue this matter.

Of question however, is the exact procedure to update the sound drivers.

I notice in "Device Manager" there is an option to "Uninstall" and also an option to "Update" the driver. Is it ok to simply select "Update", or must the drivers be uninstalled? Is it something like the video card driver installation procedure whereby the prior drivers must be completely removed?

Also, If the new drivers cause problems, would you happen to know if there is a means of capturing the original drivers prior to the new install, so that I may restore the old drivers?. Besides not having any manual's, I also don't have any software installation disks with my cmptr. Or, would you know if there is an old sound driver archive somewhere out there I could download a copy of the old drivers from?

Thanks again for your help.

The best way to remove drivers is to check the Add/Remove Programs control panel first to see if the hardware is listed there first. Many drivers nowadays come with a large number of files that get installed all over the place. Removing the device from the Device Manager usually isn't enough since it may redetect the device and reload the drivers on reboot or registry entries, etc. are left in place. However as a near to last resort that is one acceptable method of removing devices. A step above that would be an uninstaller program and above that would be an uninstaller from the device driver manufacturer (which usually gets setup along with the drivers and other software).

Outside of an uninstaller program to 'capture' what was installed and allow you to reinstall it, I'm not aware of anything in particular. WinME (and XP Home ?) has a 'recovery feature' that lets you go back to a previous set of settings (drivers, registry settings, etc.). I don't believe that Win2K has the same features. So you may want to find out where the retailer got your current drivers. They may be on a CD for the motherboard.

With SoundMax drivers I highly suggest finding an uninstaller before removing the device in Device Manager. The new version of the SoundMax drivers will recognize that there's a previous version present that needs to be uninstalled and will offer to do so, but sometimes this doesn't work for some odd reason (files don't get uninstalled or installation doesn't end up working after reboot). Therefore it is best to uninstall the drivers before running the latest version.

You could do a Google search for your paricular version number, SoundMax and Windows 2000. You may come across some manufacturer site that has the drivers posted.

Once again, thank you.

Your information confirms my suspicion that upgrading audio drivers is a pain. I read the update instructions at the Intel site you provided, and they were confusing. I have no idea what they are talking about.

I found the disk to my motherboard, and it lists a Intel 845HV. A fellow at the retailer stated that if I select Pause/Break on boot-up the motherboard nomenclature would be available. I haven't confirmed that yet.

I believe I was mistaken when I stated that the problem wasn't related to my Zone Alarm, and Anti-Virus programs. I've been experimenting further, and find that if I disconnect from the internet (I have dial-up), and then shutdown Zone Alarm followed by shuting down the AGV Anti-Virus program, my Direct Sound is restored. So in view of my fear of screwing up the updated driver installation, and the new found remedy, I believe I'll just shutdown those programs for future COMBB operations.

Thanks again for all your help.