Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

ATI Rage Fury Maxx problems

Rory

Today I replaced the Canopus Spectra 2500 card aqnd the 2 Voodoo2 w/12mb each with an ATI Rage Fury Maxx. After installing and starting CBMO there were a few problems. The mouse flickers. the text fields blink, on hotseat missions it had a few times not let either of us pick a password so when it comes back to our turn we cannot get in. It freezes up a lot, and the bar at the bottom sometimes goes into a LSD induced Rod Serling Night Gallery painting. Real strange. I am loaded with the original drivers from the disk and the website says there are no newer ones right now. Is there some button on this new ATI display interface that I need to turn off, on, lower or pull out.

Thanks

Rory Baggs

I don't know (and I don't believe the capability actually exists), but you may want to disable the second processor. The Rage Fury MAXX is unique enough that ATI couldn't develop drivers for it for Windows 2000. So it has been "discontinued" as a product and ATI has been dropping the price on them drastically. Unfortunately you probably can't expect any newer drivers to be developed for this card (but it could happen, there's just no financial imperative from ATI's viewpoint to do so though).

The mouse display, text field blinking, freezing and button bar psychadelia are all probably related to the Rage Fury MAXX. The hotseat password issue may be something else however.

Here's a page from ATI (if you haven't checked it out already) that lists possible solutions to General Protection Faults under Windows with the Rage Fury MAXX installed. Some of the things you may want to take note of are - AGP drivers (if you have a non-Intel chipset - not a non-Intel CPU), a BIOS update from your motherboard manufacturer, CMOS settings that can help with the MAXX.

ATI Rage Fury MAXX FAQ:

http://support.atitech.ca/infobase/3179.html

You may want to play with (reduce) your AGP Aperture in your CMOS/BIOS setup. If the Display tabs give the option, you may want to reduce your AGP to 1x and turn off "side-banding".

There's also a BETA driver available from this site:

Rage Fury MAXX BETA driver (on upper left of page A6.40CD15):

http://www.rage3d.com/

There's also a Rage 128 Tweaker that may or may not work with the MAXX:

http://www.rage3d.com/files/utils/

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 08-31-2000).]