My experiences so far

So I've been playing a while for now and getting the feel of the new engine. Here are things that I've noticed so far:

I've noticed that the troops wont fire their javelins at bunkers or buildings when they have only 1 javelin left. When I did the training all the guys fired all but one javelin leaving one bunker intact. None of them would fire the last javelin and then I tried again targetting the bunkers first and then the guys shot all the remaining javelins at the tanks.

Another annoying thing I've also noticed that you cant change crews of vehicles. For example in some mission the gunner from the stryker with the 40mm grenade launcher was killed and I had another stryker immobilised but the crew was 100% ok. So of course I drove the operational stryker next to the immobilised one and tried to switch the crew to the functional one but they would only go to the crew compartment. Something that obviously needs to be adressed.

And then theres the replay phase.. Lots of small things there.. Like for instance if your troops enter a vehicle you can only see the icon in replay phase, not the guys themselves. Also if you kill every man of an enemy unit their icon wont show up in replay phase. Also you can "spy" enemy units in the replay and action phase just by selecting them when they're visible and then keeping the selection even though they would hide and your troops lose LOS.

Also it would be a very nice feature if you could select the replay phase to either start at the beginning as it does now OR just stay in the end of the turn. I'd say theres usually about 1/3 of all turns where I just dismiss the replay phase totally or many other turns where I just want to see the last 10 seconds or so.

I also noticed that at least in the wego system when the enemy receives reinforcements you get a very quick glance at them arriving. Like 1/10th of a second their icons are shown.

Then theres the obvious pathfinding issues specially in areas that are a bit tight. Sometimes I find my units going on a detour half the map away just when theres a choking point somewhere.

I also tried the realtime first of course since I figured it would be more "realistic" when you couldnt stop to think you moves every minute. But those experiments usually just end up in total chaos and disaster, issuing the wrong orders all the time with the wrong order tab selected etc. In realtime I'd _REALLY_ prefer the old CMx1 system where every key had basically just one command and scrolling the map from keyboard was done from the keypad. I know there are people playing with laptops that would hate this kind of setup but couldn't it be optional? For me I get so messed up with the keys when theres much action that I cant play with realtime. I need the option to issue orders without looking which tab I have selected since my eyes are focused on the battlefield, not some UI tab. So for me wego is the only way to go for now.

Other than those this new engine has HUGE potential of totally being in its own class as a strategy game. It took a while but I think I'm slowly starting to get the hand of operating a stryker platoon without getting everyone killed all the time :D Keep those patches coming and keep up the great no excellent work! I know you won't let us down!

[ August 04, 2007, 05:28 AM: Message edited by: Hotti ]