The US anti-battery system

I read a while back (cant remember where) that the US had some sort of anti-battery system that uses the trajectory of enemy artillery and mortars to calculate firing positions. And, naturally, counter-battery fire would follow. This led to the rise of vehicle mounted mortars.

So my questions are:

1)how long does it take the US to respond with this counter-battery system IRL?

2)How often do US units end up operating outside of their artillery's range?

2)Will we see Syrian mortars in Toyota pickups?

I wasn't an artilleryman, but I'll try to relate what I've read lately.

1. Counterbattery rounds can, and sometimes actually do, get fired before the incoming enemy rounds even land. It depends on how quickly the incoming rounds are detected by the FireFinder radar, and how on the ball the counterbattery unit is.

2. It happens, but often MLRS units are used for counterbattery and some of those rockets have very long ranges.

3. I hope so. smile.gif

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

1. Counterbattery rounds can, and sometimes actually do, get fired before the incoming enemy rounds even land. It depends on how quickly the incoming rounds are detected by the FireFinder radar, and how on the ball the counterbattery unit is.

(Im thinking in CMx1 terms) - that kind of makes buying a Syrian 105mm spotter seem kind of pointless. And if you get a foot mortar team, I guess you better keep him away from the rest of your troops.

Originally posted by David Chapuis:

I read a while back (cant remember where) that the US had some sort of anti-battery system that uses the trajectory of enemy artillery and mortars to calculate firing positions. And, naturally, counter-battery fire would follow. This led to the rise of vehicle mounted mortars.

A few seconds. The counter fire is out before the incoming hits the deck.