HOW IS THIS INSTEAD OF A VODOO 3500........

Driver-wise this card will be an improvement over the Voodoo 3500. There should hardly be any problems with a TNT2 M64 in CM. Performance-wise I'm not exactly sure how well this particular chip compares against the Voodoo 3 family.

A better upgrade would be a GeForce 2 MX400. However, looking at the same vendor it costs approximately £80 vs. £35. The GeForce2 MX200 would also be a better improvement, but if you can afford the MX400 then that would be the card that I'd suggest.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Driver-wise this card will be an improvement over the Voodoo 3500. There should hardly be any problems with a TNT2 M64 in CM. Performance-wise I'm not exactly sure how well this particular chip compares against the Voodoo 3 family.

A better upgrade would be a GeForce 2 MX400. However, looking at the same vendor it costs approximately £80 vs. £35. The GeForce2 MX200 would also be a better improvement, but if you can afford the MX400 then that would be the card that I'd suggest.

yeh, i might be able to get it, but becaue I have an i810 it only accepts PCI. The GeForce 2 MX400 only comes in AGP

I'm not sure if the Inno3D brand is available in the UK or not. If it is, then they have a GeForce2 MX400 in the PCI form factor. It actually ends up being a little more expensive than the AGP version, but it may be worth it. This card may be the fastest one you can get for the PCI bus (there are some others that are faster, but they're much more expensive and have some issues with CM).

Ralph, I sent you an email on that one. One problem is that I'm not familiar with the Galaxy brand so I'm unable to make a direct comparison.

Generally speaking they are probably equivalent in speed, but you'll want to take a close look at the speed of the memory (rated in nanoseconds or MHz) and the clock speed of the chip (often called the 'core clock').

[ March 06, 2002, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Ralph, here's the text of the email:

I assume that these are both GeForce 2 Titaniums ?

They should be almost equal in performance, though I'm not absolutely sure of the specs on either one. ASUS typically has a good warranty and high quality manufacturing. I don't know anything about Galaxy. They're probably just another Taiwanese/Chinese clone brand. Most of the time you're stuck going back to the vendor that you purchased it from in order to get the card serviced (if it ever came to that) - but this is true of both cards.

If both cards are based on the same chip running at the same clock speed (ASUS - 240MHz), then another difference may be the speed or quality of the memory that it's using. Often, but not always, there's a number on the memory chips that indicates the speed in nanoseconds (lower being better). I can't recall off hand what memory speed would be typical for the GeForce 2 Titaniums. Another difference may be in the quality of the heatsink/fan combo.

Here's a review for the ASUS V7700Ti:

http://www.hwextreme.com/reviews/videocards/asus-v7700ti/

I'd guess that the ASUS probably costs more than the Galaxy. Generally the performance will probably be close enough between them that you probably couldnt' tell the difference without benchmarking. The ASUS may be better at overclocking than the Galaxy, but that would strictly be a guess (overclock-ability can vary from card to card for the exact same model).