Helecopters?

Here's a question for the chaps at BF, apologies if this has been covered (I did check, but not every single post...)

Will you be close air support, in particular helecopters? And if so, is it still planned for air assets to be visible?

NB - excellent choice choosing a Stryker Brigade. Very interesting, very modern and very real. Perfect contemporary/near future hypothetical. Looking forward to this title immensely.

I think the answer they gave (and it is posted in the forum here somewhere) was something like this:

Yes, and yes they will be visible, and NO they will not be under player control.

If you call in a helo air strike and you end up in a similiar situation as CAS in CMx1, helo arrives (sometime) tries to figure out which target you want it to hit, and fires and flies away. (or something like that?)

(please correct me if I did not get that right)

-tom w

Battlefront.com

Administrator

Member # 42

posted October 08, 2005 03:27 PM

Battles size is whatever we feel the hardware can handle. We're hoping for a near battalion sized force for at least one side, hopefully both. But we'll just have to see.

CAS (Close Air Support) will be handled more directly than CMx1. You need to call it in on a specified target.

No airmobile/para deployments. I think hot LZ type helo ops are out of the picture, thanks to Somalia proving the skeptics of the tactic right. Deployment via this method would likely be outside of the scope of a CM engagement. Like my answer about NBC the amount of coding effort to model the few times it would be used is simply a bad use of development resources.

Special forces might make an entry

Night combat will hopefully be as detailed as you guys expect it to be. We'll just have to see about that.

Steve

On Oct 8 Steve said:

"Since helos are a common component of CAS, of course they will be included. However, if you don't have them assigned you don't get them. You can't just stop your attack and call up the chain to get something that isn't available just because you want it. Doesn't work that way in real life, shouldn't work that way in the game. Obviously in real life the commander can theoretically make a decision to abort a mission until such assets come into play, but that doesn't make for an exciting scenario. Though I can think of ways it could be. We'll just have to wait and see what we're able to do with stuff like that."

Battlefront.com

Administrator

Member # 42

posted October 08, 2005 05:01 PM

Lots of questions. Forgive me if I don't get to all of them...

Civilians are much desired to include, but we're not going to be getting them in. For the kind of operation we are simulating they aren't extremely important. For Peace and Stability or Counter Insurgency ops they are critical. CM:SF isn't about either of those so we can get by without civilians. However, we do plan on being the first realistic simulation of civilians in a combat environment. Just not sure when we'll get to it

No Turkey and Israel involved in this game since you're in command of US forces only. For Modules we are looking to add other NATO nations. Turkey, although part of NATO, doesn't strike me as being a popular choice to focus on

Yes, the terrain of a large section of Syria is a real test of the new higher resolution terrain mesh. It is going to be a real mess to deal with from an infantry standpoint! The stuff around the Lebanese border is particularly nasty.

Syrian equipment will be realistically modeled. If they don't have it, or aren't likely to have it, they won't. The Syrians have had difficulties upgrading their equipment in recent years because the Soviet Union is no more and Russia seems to favor cash vs. credit A lot of smaller stuff has been coming in from China as a result. As one intelligence summary stated, it is unlikely that Syria will be making billion dollar deals like in the past. Small numbers of upgrades are, however, being conducted. One upgrade package for their aging T-72s actual came from Italy of all places. I have seen a little evidence of some T-80s, but I've also seen reports that the deal fell through and they don't actually have any. We'll be doing more research on this as time goes on. Like I said, if we think they have them in a way that warrants simulation (ex: we aren't simulating the handful of BMP-3s they acquired) it will be in the game.

The player is in command of a nebulous Task Force. In some situations it will be fairly large, in others you might find yourself only with a part of your force doing a fairly small and limited action. In others you'll work in conjunction with other forces that won't be available all the time. Some of these forces will be Attached to you directly, others will just be good neighbors of another task force.

Yes, the new Victory Conditions do include ROE (Rules of Engagement) considerations along with others. For example, we will be able to weigh victory for stuff like "get your convoy to x location by y time without taking more than z casualties". We can do this in a way that is not necessarily apparent to the player ahead of time, or it can be explicate. In other words, Victory Conditions in CMx2 are going to be nothing like what they were in CMx1. That's one of the reasons why we expect CMx2 to be far more interesting

Since helos are a common component of CAS, of course they will be included. However, if you don't have them assigned you don't get them. You can't just stop your attack and call up the chain to get something that isn't available just because you want it. Doesn't work that way in real life, shouldn't work that way in the game. Obviously in real life the commander can theoretically make a decision to abort a mission until such assets come into play, but that doesn't make for an exciting scenario. Though I can think of ways it could be. We'll just have to wait and see what we're able to do with stuff like that.

As for the Syrian Air Force... don't expect to see it. An outdated Israeli report figured its lifespan in minutes if just Israel were to go to war with it. Years of penny pinching and diversion of resources into the Army have left the Syrian Air Force quite incapable of playing any significant role in combat.

Steve