Multiplayer like Civ IV?

Josh Coady

I was reading a preview to Civ IV and came across this description of it's multiplayer design and thought it could work well for CM (probably more like a later module or CMx3 though since this is rather late in the dev phase).

... But perhaps the most interesting new multiplayer mode is the pit boss, a persistent, stand-alone server that may be the answer that Firaxis is looking for. Basically, the pit boss will let you play a game of Civ online like normal. However, when someone has to leave (and usually someone has to leave over the course of a 10-hour game of Civ), the pit boss will save the state of the game. Then you can log in every now and then to see if your turn has come up. If it does, you can make your moves and save the progress to the server for the next player. This will keep a multiplayer game going, sort of like play-by-email. And when everyone is back online at the same time, you can resume the game at full speed. Moreover, you can participate in multiple pit boss games at a time. So if one game is proceeding slowly, you can start another to keep you interested. Then there's team play, which lets you buddy up with another player, or players, so you can try to crush the opposition. ...

From Civ IV Preview @ GameSpot.com

-Josh

I thought that CM already has its self appointed pit boss that doorbitches the players and rubs our noses in it when they feel like it. :D

But seriously if this multi-player stuff is gonna bloody happen then I think that this pit bitch cross dressing trans-sexual transylvanian thing sounds like a good additional idea, Josh.

I have to agree with Ardem that given the restricted force size scale / scope of CMx2 at least initially there should not be more than 4 players max in Multi-player games esp if this limit saves some BFC programing time and hardward space.