New Turn Titles

c3k

Having played v1.04 a little bit, I feel a few alterations are necessary.

The currently titled "Setup" turn needs to be called "Setup and First Turn". Or, to be more accurate, "Setup and First Turn but with NO KNOWLEDGE OF ANY ENEMY UNITS NEAR YOU".

Case in point: my units start in LOS of enemy units in the setup phase, yet I have no idea of anything other than terrain and my units. Given the lack of situational awareness, my first turn's orders MUST be totally in the dark.

My workaround is to dejectedly hang my head and give up on any kind of first turn orders. I select the best defensive/lookout positions I can, and then wait for the first 60 seconds to pass as quickly as possible.

Also, in WEGO, the replay phase should NOT have a subtitle of "You may now replay the action", but rather, "You MUST now replay the action which you just saw or quickly scroll down to the little red square button and carefully click ONE TIME lest you mess up".

Comments?

Thanks,

Ken

Ken, I don't mind moving in the dark for the first turn. I think it's more realistic that way. It makes you come up with the best plan possible while also having to plan for what might happen. Adds to the suspense.

Second, I whole-heartedly agree about the WEGO comment.

If I can add one... In RT mode, I wish the now useless little red button was also the Pause button. I can play the whole game using only my mouse except to pause. Why not use it since it does nothing but start the game?

sFS,

Oh, don't get me wrong. I LOVE fog-of-war mechanisms. I HATE changes in reality.

To expand on that, I understand and enjoy moving against a hidden enemy. If I start a scenario and there are hidden enemy which I need to discover, that's fine.

What isn't fine, to me, is starting a scenario where 50 T-72's are set-up in the open at 300 meters from my units. (I know this ONLY because I designed the scenario - nice editor BTW.) Yet, despite a division's worth of tanks in the open, my guys DO NOT SEE THEM.

I understand that spotting routines cannot be employed while units can be freely relocated. THAT would be gamey. (Someone would just place the best optics unit at each vantage point during setup and gain all the intel, then place their units where they would gain the best advantage.)

What I'm objecting to is the SETUP AND FIRST TURN nature of the setup phase.

I think a stand-alone SETUP phase would be best. After all your units (and the enemy's units) are positioned, THEN you would be sent to the FIRST TURN.

In effect, if my units move down a road (simulated by their placement there during setup) and there's a roadblock 100 meters ahead in LOS, I should know about it BEFORE my orders phase.

Does all that make sense?

Thanks,

Ken