Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Help required - CMBO Locks up on me

Ok Guys,

I have need of some help and I haven’t found the answer to my problem on your boards ( which are a mine of info) My problem is that I cant get CMBO to work on my PC. I can start the game up but after about 40secs – 2 mins it freezes and I have to reboot my computer.

My system is as follows:

Intel Pentium II 300 processor

192mb Ram

Win98

Microsoft Mouse PS/2 (no intellimouse)

Hercules Kyro Prophet 4000XT AGP Graphics Card (32mb)

16 bit Duplex Sound Card

DirectX 8.1 installed

I have successfully used the Demo but the not the Full Game. I recall a thread which suggested adjusting the sound or turning off the 3D sound acceleration in dxdiag.exe but that didn’t work either.

I have reinstalled my video and sound files, I even upgraded from my original video card which had the same problem but this didn’t fix it (to my immense frustration!!!)

Help!!!!!

[ February 17, 2003, 06:36 AM: Message edited by: Prefab Sprouter ]

Are you using the 2nd Edition of Windows 98 or the first (not that it really makes much of a difference) ? What version of the Kyro drivers do you have installed ? What resolution are you running CM at and have you tried lower ones ? Have you made any changes to the DirectX settings for your video card or is everything at the default ? Do you know what 'processes' or applications you may have running in the background when you're running CM (Ctrl-Alt-Del will give a list of the 'applications') ?

If you can use the Demo with no problems at all, but the full version consistently locks up on you (and you're running at the same resolution), then the issue may be your soundcard. One of the differences between the Demo and the full version was the sound sampling rates. The Demo used 22kHz while the full version used 44.1kHz. What sound card do you have and what drivers do you have installed for it ? Do you know if your soundcard shares an IRQ with another device, especially the videocard ?

Thank you Schrullenhaft for your post which is very helpful!

In answer to your questions (in order of asking)

1. I'm running the first edition of Win98

2.Its the Kyro I set of drivers (I'm not sure if Kyro II will work with a Kyro I Card. They are the most up to date drivers)

3. I've tried other resolution rates to no success

4. The DirectX settings are at "Default". I'll play around with these

5. I'm running Norton AV in the Background.

6. The sound is a generic make and I'll have to check if there are upgraded drivers for it.

Thanks for the help.

Do I need to upgrade my Mouse Drivers too?

Sometimes upgrading your mouse drivers can help with certain issues (or cause them), but I don't think that is the issue here with your lockups.

There's only one set of Kyro drivers for both chipsets. The latest version is 1.06.16.0051 for Windows 98. However a number of people have had additional problems with the latest driver, so using an older driver (15 or 14 series) may be a better bet.

I'd suggest turning off/killing the Norton AV while attempting to play CM to see if it helps. I also suggest shutting down any other applications that may be running in the background.

I'm not sure what DirectX settings are available to the Kyro I chipsets, but some combinations may cause more problems than the default (which is usually a safe setting).

Your soundcard may be the big culprit here. If it is sharing an IRQ with another device it could cause problems with the amount of audio data that CM puts out. You can experiment with turning off 'ambient' sound in CM to see if this helps or not since this is a major amount of audio data.

Is there anything that is occuring or that you're performing consistently when you lockup, such as a repeating sound or a certain action (such as just scrolling around the map) ?

If you just let CM sit for awhile does it not lockup until you start scrolling around or will it lockup within a few minutes without doing anything ?

Which version of the Kyro drivers do you have installed ? What soundcard do you have installed and what driver version are you using for them ? Did you figure out if your soundcard was sharing an IRQ with another device ?