Really impressed . . .

handihoc

I'm playing the Euphrates scenario released with 1.05, and am hugely impressed - except for one problem, which I'll come to in a minute.

First the good news. And there's plenty of it. The battle, even though its a damn' big one, runs very smoothly so far. Much better than previously.

I can see over walls! Hooray! But so can the enemy. Ouch! Great defence by the Red AI. Masterful use of ATGMs - twenty minutes in and I'm two Strykers and an MGS down. I'm taking quite a whupping, which is a positive sign in single play. Going to have to go back and replay the last few turns.

Installed various mods (Graffiti, Shop Front, Up-amoured Humvee), and they really make a pleasing subtle difference to the look of the place.

Some sounds seem to be improved. I've got soundsurround, so it's fantastic to hear a shell or a missile launch, whoosh past my head and explode somewhere in the far distance way out on the other side of my room! Bullets penetrating or cutting through leaves or earth, spent shells and fragments raining down etc are really effective too.

The one bad point is CTDs. It's being discussed elsewhere, but basically seems to happen mostly (and often) when replaying a WEGO turn, after having viewed the action once. Second time generally causes a crash. Real pity, as a battle like this demands repeated replays just to take in everything that's happened in that last minute or so - and to change viewpoint and marvel at the graphics.

So overall verdict on 1.06 - wonderful! I just hope this ctd issue can be squashed quickly.

btw, who designed this scenario? There's no author's name in the briefing.

Well, Rune, you're giving me a hell of a tough time. Just been back in, found areas I thought I'd cleared still harbouring hidden enemy inf, who rose out of the earth and mowed down my US boys as they moved in to secure the objective.

Nasty stuff. Very engaging. I hope you're proud!

One note: the game is beginning to slow down now as I debark infantry, and more enemy come into view. I've mentioned this elsewhere, but it seems my Core 2 Duo system doesn't handle the game as well as it should.