Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Nvidia Drivers

I'm not sure why the 52.16's are giving you trouble, but it sounds like you'll need to uninstall them at the very least.

Boot into 'Safe Mode' and uninstall the 52.16 driver. Since you will probably be unable to download an uninstaller, you will have to go to the C:\WINDOWS\INF directory and look for any NVIDIA INFs & PNFs. There may be several files and I'm not sure how they are named. Removing these should hopefully prevent Windows from reinstalling the drivers on boot. You could also delete the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\NV4_DISP.DLL and the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\NV4_MINI.SYS files, which should prevent Windows from loading up the critical driver files.

When you reboot XP should be unable to identify your video card and run with the 'VGASave' driver. If you're prompted to install drivers on boot, skip/cancel that and download a different set. You may want to download and run Detonator R.I.P. to remove all of your NVidia files. If you're daring, you can reattempt the install of the 52.16's or just go back to an earlier release that didn't give you problems.

If CM is your main addiction, then I would recommend the 30.82/30.87 drivers since they don't have any problems with CM. However if you play other games, then some of the newer drivers may seem attractive (but they may have problems in CM).

I missed that - you have an AGP 8X version of the GeForce 4 MX, which does need a newer driver (4x.xx series or newer).

I suggest going through the uninstall process anyway and then apply whichever Detonator release you would like to. I also suggest turning off any antivirus or other utilities while installing the video driver. Something may have interfered with the original install. You may also want to install DirectX 9.0b if you haven't already (the newer video drivers may require it) - before installing the latest driver.