Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

FLAK

Just to increase the fun, I claim it is actually "Flugabwehrkanone", if it is the official "Flak" term used for the barrels which is intended.

"Flug" is the prefix of things flying, like "Flugzeug" ("flightcraft"). In English, you use 'air' in this role instead, 'air' and 'aircraft'. So the non-literal but perhaps most accurate translation of "Flugabwehrkanone" would be 'airdefence cannon'.

"Flugzeugabwehr" ("Aircraftdefence") sounds like something on board an aircraft to protect it, like the Bordwaffen.

When grouped in units, at least the Army normally called them Fla. No need for the k at unit level.

But as we know the Germans used Flak as quite a general term for air defence also. In such a context I am sure "Fliegerabwehr" could well be the intended words.

The term "Fliegerabwehr" was otherwise TMHK used in a tactical context. For instance, the Ia was responsible for planning the "Fliegerabwehr" of his Division. Certain patterns of March formation for units were called "Fliegerabwehr" (because they were designed primarily for defence against roving aircraft). I also imagine it was the normal spoken word, as the normal army word for aircraft was "Flieger", if not more specific ("Jäger", "Jabo" etc).

"Flugabwehr" was (and is I believe) otherwise the normal collective term for ground based anti aircraft systems of all sorts.

"Luftwehr" (literally 'Airdefence') was (and is I believe) used as term for the strategic defence of airspace and inclusive of friendly aircraft units as part of it.

I don't think the contemporary German was very careful about using these terms correctly. Just as long as his listener understood what he meant. No source stating it was so, its just a feeling I get.

Cheerio

Dandelion

Originally posted by Dandelion:

Certain patterns of March formation for units were called "Fliegerabwehr" (because they were designed primarily for defence against roving aircraft).

When I did my basic training in 1988, we still used the term "Ack Ack formation" to describe two staggered columns of infantry marching down a road.

In 1939, "Ack" was the phonetic for the letter A, Ack Ack is thus the phonetic for the abbreviation AA, which at the time meant "Anti-Aircraft". In WW I, the Canadian and British armies marched in fours, in WW II they changed to threes when no in danger of attack, and when in the vicinity of enemy aircraft, used "Ack Ack" formation.

The phonetic alphabet changed in 1942 or 3, and A became Able, but the term Ack Ack has lived on, I believe to this day.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

...but the term Ack Ack has lived on, I believe to this day.

Interesting question for a word junky like myself. I think the contemporary term in the US forces (from at least the period of the Viet Nam war) is 'triple A', for 'Anti-aircraft Artillery'. I think 'Ack Ack' was mostly a usage in the BCE forces during WW II. The term among Americans was 'Flak'. I've always wondered if part of the adoption and persistence of the term 'Ack Ack' lay in its onomatopoetic qualities in imitation of the sound of the rapid-fire cannon that inspired it.

Michael