Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CMBO Start up problems....

dita

Hello, all.

I`ve recently upgraded my Pc and decided to give CMBO another try. It worked fine on my old windows `98 machine.

But, upon installing and running the game I get a black screen (no sound) and the monitor going into "stand by" (orange light) then coming back on again. I see in the troubleshoot guide that this is a problem that has occured before, but I have never seen it before. I am using my old graphics card (a TNT2 model 64 with 32mb). Ive tried the alt tab trick and the drivers are up to date (or so it seems) I cannot seem to find the "hot fix" listed in the remove windows components on my machine, can it be removed manually?

Thanks for any help.

My machine is a windows xp (service pack 2)

Athlon 2800Xp

Nvidia TNT2 Mach 64 with 32 mb

256mb ram

120 gig hard drive

Thanks for any help

EDIT: Direct X 9.0c and (according to directx diagnostics) version 6.14.0010.5673 of the video/display drivers

[ December 04, 2004, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: dita ]

The 'hotfix' you mention is part of XP's SP1, so you can't remove it (before applying SP1 it was a separate hotfix that could be uninstalled).

What resolution and vertical refresh rate are you running for your desktop ? Do you know what the maximum resolution and refresh rate is for your monitor ?

During the resolution selection process CM will start out at your current desktop resolution. However it will run this resolution at the highest vertical refresh rate that the videocard supports. This may be beyond your monitor's capability to display. I'm guessing that your monitor may 'black out' when presented with video frequencies beyond its ability to display. Some monitors will attempt to display them, with mixed results ('bad TV signal' looking results). I suggest that you wait awhile when you launch CMBO and see if it finally comes up with something on the screen (it will automatically go through the resolutions and refresh rates if no keys are pressed). If that doesn't work, then set your desktop to a resolution that is lower than it is currently. This may give the monitor enough 'headroom' to display the higher vertical refresh rates that CM may attempt.

Thanks for the feedback. The desktop is at 1024 x 768 @ 60htz. I have already tried the desktop @ 800 x 600 @ 60hrtz

I followed your suggestion and left the game/PC trying to initialize itself. (went of and made a cup of tea!) Came back and I`m presented with "D3D could not initialize"

Confused. I`ve got the latest directX. Oh, on a side note, I am using the old monitor from the previous PC, which I had no problems with (was using a different directx version then though)

EDIT: Ooops, perhaps my English sunday morning cup of tea should have waited. Decided to run it again, and after several flickering of screens it finally cycles through the various options available. Missed that the first time round. Game starts and everything seems to be fine. Thanks for your help. Perhaps a bit of patience was the key hre for me ;)

I`m off to install my CMBB now smile.gif

[ December 05, 2004, 02:25 AM: Message edited by: dita ]