Who's MIA?

While playing I sent a lone driver and HMMWV down a road where I figured he'd get killed. He got shot up and exited the vehicle and then went down with the red cross showing as he was wounded. He was laying several meters from the people who shot him and then about 30 seconds later he disappeared. Now I'm wondering, was it a bug? or did they capture him? I had LOS from another unit where he should have been but he wasn't there.

This brings up my bigger question, how does the game decide who is considered MIA or not?

If his base turned red he is either KIA or almost KIA and out of the battle for the duration.

Its not a bug, if you see the red cross the guy is a casualty and even he is near by friendlies he disappears and this simulates a med evac, if he is not near friendlies as in your situation his body disappears and this "might" simulate him becoming a prisoner, but live or dead prisoners are not taken in this game, none the less, either way he is out of the fight and all red base KIA's disappear after about 30 secs in the game.

• 2 weeks later...
If his base turned red he is either KIA or almost KIA and out of the battle for the duration.
Once the base is red can the status of being almost KIA change to being fully KIA by events still taking place in the game, example is if someone is down with a red base and is just critically wounded if a explosion goes off on top of them will it make them KIA then?

Once the base is red can the status of being almost KIA change to being fully KIA by events still taking place in the game, example is if someone is down with a red base and is just critically wounded if a explosion goes off on top of them will it make them KIA then?