camera

Am I the only one who spends as much time fighting the camera as he does fighting the opfor?

the second item on any patch wish-list for me (after fixing the game so i can run it at max on my rig) would to be make the camera, when it locks on a unit, lock from a 'behind and above' perspective rather than a 'directly overhead' perspective.

Originally posted by peleprodigy:

the second item on any patch wish-list for me (after fixing the game so i can run it at max on my rig) would to be make the camera, when it locks on a unit, lock from a 'behind and above' perspective rather than a 'directly overhead' perspective.

I like that suggestion.

One thing which you may or may not know about, which helped me a lot is using the number keys to change camera angles: '1' gives a low-low angle, '2' slightly higher ... '9' gives a high level almost 2D wargame type perspective. I generally stick to '3', '4', and '5'.

Originally posted by peleprodigy:

Am I the only one who spends as much time fighting the camera as he does fighting the opfor?

I am in total agreement and was hoping that would be done before release but to be fair its not all that hard to just click the unit, padlock it with the tab key and then hit the 1 or 2 keys to get the camera down to that same level...

You guys did notice that we have the same original 9 camera height views in CMSF (accessed via the 1-9 keys) as we had in CMx1? That was added rather recently, but I am glad they are in.

For me, I also always play in Wide-screen angle mode (toggled with the C key) as I like to see more of the map at once and this view provides that.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

For me, I also always play in Wide-screen angle mode (toggled with the C key) as I like to see more of the map at once and this view provides that.

C-key for 'cinema', right? ;) OMG! That is in?! Long time ago i raised that feature wish for a far more natural wide-screen angle view with absolutely no response. :D

but to be fair its not all that hard to just click the unit, padlock it with the tab key and then hit the 1 or 2 keys to get the camera down to that same level...
But once you're down there, it's very tedious to go to another unit. You have to pan the camera and find the unit and then start the process over.

A way to easily jump from unit to unit would be great.

Personally I'd prefer to be able to select units from a roster of some sort in the bottom or on the side of the screen. One click would select the unit, double-clicking would take you straight to a slightly elevated, back-drawn, over-the-shoulder view of that unit.

It could just be an abbreviation for each unit written in small, semi-transparent letters down one edge of the screen. That you could turn on and off with a key-command. And the abbreviations could perhaps even be color-coded depending on the status of the unit...

Right now, I would settle for a way of selecting the next/previous unit without the camera turning in the direction of the unit...!

This can be very irritating when you have limped the camera into a good position for surveying a piece of the battlefield and want to start placing your units on that piece of land. Everytime you choose another unit the camera turns towards it and you have to pan back again to place the unit.

Tedious.

And it makes it a pain to issue movement orders from any perspective that does not already have all units you want to use in view.

So, how say you? Any chance of a unit roster sort-of-thing?

Originally posted by Moosegum:

But once you're down there, it's very tedious to go to another unit. You have to pan the camera and find the unit and then start the process over.

A way to easily jump from unit to unit would be great.

Personally I'd prefer to be able to select units from a roster of some sort in the bottom or on the side of the screen. One click would select the unit, double-clicking would take you straight to a slightly elevated, back-drawn, over-the-shoulder view of that unit.

I completely agree a roster would be great. I think you'll find though that Battlefront is, in general, very anti-roster. There was some talk about possibly adding it at some point, if they had enough time, but it's never been a priority with them, and they have some philosophical issues with having a list of units and IIRC particularly one which is clickable and takes you immediately to that unit. At least that's what I remember from CMBO and CMBB discussions on rosters some years back.

Yes, I have heard.

Well, I guess I can see where they're coming from at least when using the WEGO system.

But to make the new real-time gameplay flow like it should a faster and more painless way to get around and issue orders is needed.

I can't see the point of making a real-time game engine with great graphics and then tie it down with a WEGO interface/camera that forces you to play the game from a chess-board perspective.

I hope they are considering softening their principles on this point, but I guess only time will tell.