Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

A bit too much smoke from strykers?

skelley

First off let me say that I absolutely love 1.06 patch. The new LOS/LOF is a huge advance as well as the stuck infantry fix. I have been playing a MOUT scenario and haven't had the stuck infantry problem at all. The problem that I am having is strykers now pop smoke so much that getting them to engage targets for more than a few seconds is difficult. There are no enemy AFVs in the scenario, but there are a lot of RPGs. I don't know if this is the real life reaction to RPGs or would they open fire on them.

Not a big deal, just wondering if it would be used as much as it is against soft targets.

Originally posted by skelley:

Not a big deal, just wondering if it would be used as much as it is against soft targets.

Whether the target is hard or soft doesn’t matter.

Its the threat to the vehicle that is real life prompts the commander to “pop smoke”.

A RPG engaging at short range from a concealed position can be just as big a threat as a T-72, 1,200m away, firing from an exposed position.

We are looking at AFV smoke though in terms of:

How quickly (if at all) they should reload in a scenario given the difficulties involved.

The affect of AFV smoke on nearby Infantry (friendly and enemy).

etc.

More news as it comes to hand (hopefully in the release notes for 1.07, if it makes it in).

Well first you have to find it, note I said “concealed”.

The commander might decide to pop smoke rather than get hit by a 2nd or 3rd rocket while trying to find it.

And what if there is no “supporting infantry”?

As I said its a question of “threat”.

If you can see the RPG its not that big a threat, same same if you have bunch of grunts nearby who can suppress it (they will probably see it before the Styker crew does, esp. if its abeam or behind the vehicle).

Lots of people here don’t seem to have heard about mutual support or combined arms so it wouldn’t surprise me if they sent a vehicle alone into harm’s way.