moving large turns from MAC to PC?

Guest aaronb

In a PBEM game which is just getting interesting (as in I expect to smoke most if his remaining armour shortly), my opponent is unable to send the latest movie!

It is too large for my inbox - coming in around 3MB.

My usual solution is to use, say, the JoneSoft file splitter - but my opponent is on a Mac, and I'm on a PC, and the file splitters that I know about aren't cross-platform.

We have also tried manually splitting via a text editor - no dice. Could be a knowledge issue on my opponent's part, but in any event the attempt failed.

Any suggestions?

Was your opponent able to open the PBEM in his/her text editor ? They may have to use MS Word or something to that effect due to the size of the PBEM.

If they can open the PBEM, instruct them to create some new documents to paste the text into (in this case three new documents). They'll have to make sure that they're saving the new documents in a Text Only/ASCII text file format, otherwise you're going to get word processor formatting which will corrupt the PBEM.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

If they can open the PBEM, instruct them to create some new documents to paste the text into (in this case three new documents).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll try that. I don't think he's exceptionally computer literate, but it's worth a try.

It worked. I got two files from my opponent:

pbem13.zip

pbem131.zip

Put them on separate floppies (couldn't do it from the hard drive), and renamed '131' to just '13'.

Then double-click on the one that started as '131' - the last in the spanned set. It asks for the first ('13'), and finally asks for the next (orig. '131') and bob's your uncle.

It's a lot of work, but the turn was worth it.

Thanks, Ben.

Another solution is to open a webmail account. I know that Yahoo has a 6 Meg mailbox. That should take care of almost any file. But, and this is a BIG but, be sure to Zip or Stuff the file since Yahoo shows the whole attachment if it is a textfile, thereby forcing you to download it twice... But it will still work even if its very timeconsuming (unless you have fast connection).

/Kristian

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Graaf Spee:

I know that Yahoo has a 6 Meg mailbox. That should take care of almost any file. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a 6mb aggregate limit - in the fine print, the per-message limit is either 3 or 2MB.