Tactics of the Crescent Moon

Has anyone read this book? Saw it at the bookstore last night. Seemed intriging, but I didn't want to buy it without knowing anything. Ended up with Keegan's _The Second World War_ It came to me that as intrested as I am there are still some rather large gaps in my understand of WW2. In any case the people at Amazon seem impressed. I hope the BFC guys have read it. smile.gif

I've read three of Poole's books - The Last 100 Yards (had a friend in the military get it for me), Phantom Soldiers, and Tactics of the Crescent Moon. He fills his books with quotes from other sources rather than synthesizing the material into his own narrative. To me, this makes them a tough read.

His basic premise is that eastern armies are better at infantry tactics, infiltration, camouflage, etc. and that we should enhance our abilities in these areas rather than focusing on high-tech and heavy-firepower weapon systems. He also makes reference to some Ninja infiltration/mis-direction techniques, which always gets one of my eyebrows to raise in skepticism.

His best work, in my opinion, was The Last 100 Yards, which focuses more on techniques and less on theory. Of course, as with any author, your mileage may vary - you may love the stuff.

I'll pipe in on the reading material thread with some suggestions for alternatives.

fwiw,

-Nadir