Geforce 4 black screen :(

Well, Ive tried everything posted here and in the quick reference... :(

Anti-aliasing is OFF.

I've installed the 30.82 driver just to be on the safe side.

There are no problems with the installation.

When I use the shortcut, or whereever, the screen goes black, and the monitor hibernates or whatever (not power saving mode thou). No sound. I get a warning the 3D Graphics doesn function or whatever :(

Im getting a bit desperat here!!

I've reinstalled 3 times allready...

...help...?

Originally posted by Douglas Rudd:

I have the alt-tab black screen also.

PC specs:

P4-3.06 ghz

1 gig ram

ATI 9700 Pro 3.9 cat drivers

Audigy Plat

WinXP SP1

All the drivers are current.

Doug

The solution I found was to alter (downwards from 100hz to 85hz) the refresh rate found in (for Windows XP):

Right click desktop: Properties: Settings: Advanced: Monitor: Monitor Settings.

... though I notice you have an ATI card rather than Nvidia. May be worth a try 'cause its easy to adjust without reloading drivers etc

Alex

The 30.82/30.87 drivers will not work for GeForce 4 Ti 4800 and 4200s with AGP 8X. They will also not work for the GeForce FX series. All of these cards require drivers newer than the 30.82/30.87. All other GeForces (GeForce, GeForce 2, GeForce 3 & earlier GeForce 4's) should work with this driver. It is possible to tweak the .INF files for these drivers to recognize the newer cards, however it is questionable practice since they may not work properly (this may be especially true of the FX series), but it may be worth a try with the newer GeForce 4's.

As Yeknodathon mentioned, these 'black screens' may be the result of problems with the refresh rate. Windows 2000 & XP have a known 'refresh rate bug'. Running one of the programs listed in the link may help with some of these problems.

I suggest to those people who can't get CM running that they should delete any Prefs file they may have (actually backing it up might be a better suggestion) and go through the resolution selection process with your desktop set to a resolution and refresh that you'd like CM to run at. For some people the first refresh rate tried may be beyond their monitor's capacity to display. Waiting a minute or more should hopefully result in CM trying lower refresh rates that should show up. For others the screen may turn off and not come back up until you reboot. Try powering the monitor off and back on in approximately a minute or so to see if this helps (turning it on and off any earlier and the monitor may just turn off again since it still sees the inappropriate signal).