CM:SF and LANGUAGE

c3k

Wow, I'm glad there seems to be others who'd also like this OPTIONAL IMPROVEMENT added to the game.

I've even gotten noticed by (begin background sound of angels singing...) Seanachai, who, with ample stinging prose, shows HOW IMPORTANT this would be!! Thank you Seanachai.(Sound of shotgun firing followed by angelic singing cut-off with yells of pandemonium.)

Ken

c3k:

I've even gotten noticed by (begin background sound of angels singing...) Seanachai, who, with ample stinging prose, shows HOW IMPORTANT this would be!! Thank you Seanachai.(Sound of shotgun firing followed by angelic singing cut-off with yells of pandemonium.)

actually, Seanachai suggested inclusion of translations in a text-file listing outside of the actual game.

Originally posted by PSY:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by c3k:

RMC,

It's simple: a NEW game = BETTER interface.

I'll put in a vote with c3k. I think some type of English translation (either subtitles or the option for English voices for non-English units -- whether Syrian, Russian, or German) would be a worthwhile addition to the game. </font>

Pardon the delay, but I was out of town.

M. Hofbauer, you raise an interesting point. I appreciate the humor, but as I understand it, you're asking if EVERY language will be able to be substituted for the in-game language. That's up to BF.C...

Ken

Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

actually, Seanachai suggested inclusion of translations in a text-file listing outside of the actual game.

Thank God you finally showed up and explained what the hell I was on about to the supposedly native English speaker.

Bloody foreigners! Always showing up late for the war...oh, wait, that's us Americans.

And Hofbauer's a German, and they almost always show up before anyone else.

Never mind. Carry on, Hofbauer.

Frankly, I think Hofbauer (may I call you Hofbauer? 'Bloody German Foreigner' just seems so formal...) has a very good point: Why should all the other languages represented in the game be localized with an English translation? That's rather Anglo-centric, don't you think?

Or I suppose we could make it possible for any given language in the game to be replaced with any other given language...of course, then it will probably take a Cray mainframe to run the bugger.

Or we could just make sure that the option for language substitution concentrate's on BFC's core economic demographic, but, well...I don't know about you, but I'm tired of catering to the goddamn Finns.

But I think that the 'no coding', lo-tech solution to this whole thing is simply to include a pdf document that translates the foreign language phrases used.

This of course begs the whole question of non-Western alphabets, special character substitutions, and the awkwardness of working out differing phonetic systems.

But sod that for a lark, I say. Let the Finns do it. It's about time they earned their princely, 'UberFinn' status.

Or I suppose we could make it possible for any given language in the game to be replaced with any other given language...of course, then it will probably take a Cray mainframe to run the bugger.
What???!!!!

You mean they are NOT going to ship a FREE BabelFish (BabelFish.org) with every copy!

Screw it then! I won't be buying it!

Bah! :mad:

-tom w