WEGO now an afterthought.. why?

Let me start with a disclaimer, I've always been amazed with what your small group as been able to do, and have always been appreciative of the product you guys put out.

I hadn't really thought at all yesterday that I would be one complaining about the current state of the game.

First of all, I know you've been warning this both in subtle and not so subtle ways, but WEGO has become an afterthought of this series. In fact im not even sure why it has the Combat Mission name attached to it.

Seems to me it should have been a completely new game title, after all you have been warning us how different things will be and how everything has changed, so why not just come up with a new series name so people wont come to this looking for a CM successor.

For all your campaigning and telling us how you only play RT and RT was so great, I should have seen it coming, but it only really hit home once I got the game in my hands.

Im not sure who you're really trying to sell this game to, you added real time. But WEGO is poorly implemented and nearly unplayable for some on a multiplayer level.

You've said so yourself that RTS kiddies will wont like this game, and most turn based/WEGO fans are probably rather dissappointed with the way things are now. So what target audience does that leave?

What we have here is a very accurate RTS, not a WEGO tactics series like CMx1. Youve gone from something unique to just another RTS, granted, one with a lot of polish on the detail and accuracy front, but still yet another RTS.

I just hope some of the issues with WEGO being an afterthought on the multiplayer front are not because the increased detail of the game makes it impossible (data size) Although I do think that working on the realtime is possibly what got you off of implementing WEGO properly. Yes yes, I know you've said this is primarily a single player game, but I'm not even looking to get into some of the AI flaws there are at the moment.

/rant

Now... Im hopeful for the future, both of some of the issues of this game being patched, and that this game will be a learning experience for hopefully the true CM successor: CMx2 WWII.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me start with a disclaimer, I've always been amazed with what your small group as been able to do, and have always been appreciative of the product you guys put out.

I hadn't really thought at all yesterday that I would be one complaining about the current state of the game.

First of all, I know you've been warning this both in subtle and not so subtle ways, but WEGO has become an afterthought of this series. In fact im not even sure why it has the Combat Mission name attached to it.

Seems to me it should have been a completely new game title, after all you have been warning us how different things will be and how everything has changed, so why not just come up with a new series name so people wont come to this looking for a CM successor.

For all your campaigning and telling us how you only play RT and RT was so great, I should have seen it coming, but it only really hit home once I got the game in my hands.

Im not sure who you're really trying to sell this game to, you added real time. But WEGO is poorly implemented and nearly unplayable for some on a multiplayer level.

You've said so yourself that RTS kiddies will wont like this game, and most turn based/WEGO fans are probably rather dissappointed with the way things are now. So what target audience does that leave?

What we have here is a very accurate RTS, not a WEGO tactics series like CMx1. Youve gone from something unique to just another RTS, granted, one with a lot of polish on the detail and accuracy front, but still yet another RTS.

I just hope some of the issues with WEGO being an afterthought on the multiplayer front are not because the increased detail of the game makes it impossible (data size) Although I do think that working on the realtime is possibly what got you off of implementing WEGO properly. Yes yes, I know you've said this is primarily a single player game, but I'm not even looking to get into some of the AI flaws there are at the moment.

/rant

Now... Im hopeful for the future, both of some of the issues of this game being patched, and that this game will be a learning experience for hopefully the true CM successor: CMx2 WWII.

/rant

Youve gone from something unique to just another RTS, granted, one with a lot of polish on the detail and accuracy front, but still yet another RTS
Name one RTS you know where you can actually play for an hour plus totally riveted to the game and not overwhelmed in a click fest.

I find the long duration RT aspect of the game to be very refreshing and not the lest bit hackneyed.

Youve gone from something unique to just another RTS, granted, one with a lot of polish on the detail and accuracy front, but still yet another RTS
Name one RTS you know where you can actually play for an hour plus totally riveted to the game and not overwhelmed in a click fest.

I find the long duration RT aspect of the game to be very refreshing and not the lest bit hackneyed.

Originally posted by LGMB:

Dont get me wrong, I dont have any problem with the RT being there or with those who want to play it. But WEGO was a MAJOR aspect of CM, and there are many out there so simply dont want to play RT.

This is a VERY WELL DONE RTS, but it is just that.. an RTS. I never said anything was hackneyed.

Dont get me wrong, I dont have any problem with the RT being there or with those who want to play it. But WEGO was a MAJOR aspect of CM, and there are many out there so simply dont want to play RT.

This is a VERY WELL DONE RTS, but it is just that.. an RTS. I never said anything was hackneyed.

Warhammer 40k
...Is a turnbased tabletop game. How that's anything like CM...

But WEGO was a MAJOR aspect of CM
And it worked in CM. I don't think it works as well in CMSF, which is why BTS changed it to Real Time.

Besides, the game still features WEGO for those who want it.

Warhammer 40k

And it worked in CM. I don't think it works as well in CMSF, which is why BTS changed it to Real Time.

Warhammer 40k

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Warhammer 40k

Besides, the game still features WEGO for those who want it. </font>