I read some comments about intermittent freezes of that program. It happens to me, too - and boy, this really sucks since there is no way to save within a mission, so when it happens, you have to do it all over again. :-(

And adding insult to injury, the game statistics count that as a failed mission. Come on, guys, ever heard of incrementing a counter AFTER an action has been performed?!

Any hints about workarounds for that freeze phenomenon - other than putting the game aside and hope that an upcoming patch will fix it?

BTW of course all drivers are up to date, I have Win-XP Home SP2 and got rid of that XP firewall and virus scanner (Win no phone home here - only penguins are allowed to use the phone...).

I can kill the process from the process manager allright, so this time it's not a Windows problem, it is that game. Definitely.

Any playing sound keeps playing, too. And when I Alt-Tab back and forth, I even get that "restoring graphics resources" message, but as soon as I see my tank again, nothing happens any more - no mouse action, no reaction to key presses, no reaction to joystick movement.

More tech specs:

P4 2.8 GHz HT

512 MB RAM

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro

Audigy 2 ZS

latest drivers, in particular for graphics and sound card

not overclocked

no bluescreens, no random system crashes, HW is absolutely rock-solid stable

Alt-Tab works as it should when the games locks up, even all graphics parameters are restored allright (gamma etc.)

Game can be killed with the Win process manager

process manager lists game as "running", not as "not responding"

just a wild guess: can it have something to to with hyperthreading - subtle timing or deadlock problems?

If I can do anything to narrow down the problem, please tell me. I don have some experience in that area - I earn my living as a (Linux) system programmer. ;)

I'm with you man.

Honestly, this purchase is more and more adding up to disappointment. Game play wasn't THAT great when it does work, but I can't even grow to like/love the title as I just can't go any reasonable amount of time without a freeze-up.

The silence from Battlefront in any really formal way just plain sucks.

Too bad, but I guess this is what happens when you start fronting for 3rd-part titles.

Wiating is one thing, having very little direct and clear information is another.

I appreciate Martin/Moon's efforts, but I do think it is worthwhile to have news on an impending patch be made VERY CLEAR on the Battlefront.com sight or at least a prominent STICKY here in this form.

Jeff