Bot problems - won't fire (unit decimated by orders of IG, mutineers remain obdurate)

Tarquelne

I'm playing the second campaign scenario. I can't get the 120mm bots to engage fire at targets beyond the range of the 20mm guns... and even that seems rare.

Putting them on the hill behind the objective, for example, where under human control numerous attackers can be picked off as they approach, results in the bots either doing nothing. Or, if given an attack/defend/advance command with a target near the objective, they charge forward and rarely fire before getting killed.

What am I missing?

• 3 weeks later...

In the second campaign scenario (Recon in Force, I think), I have had most success when I get a few of the tanks with heavier guns to land with me at the very north of the map at first, and they will race towards the objective, roughly in pace with the enemy.

This causes them to exchange fire.

I tend to hang back and blast the enemy bots from behind.

After doing that with the two first waves of attackers from the north, I switch my attention to the south, and do a repeat performance.

The enemy tank AIs seem completely obsessed with driving out the lighter tanks, which I placed at the objective.

This means that they won't pay a whole lot of attention to the heavier tanks chasing them.

I also try to use the Fire Mission as much as possible. The EMP mission can be useful, but only when I put sufficient space between its impact and my units.

Learning how long it takes for a an orbital bombardment to reach the surface is very useful in this situation, as you can aim ahead of the enemy tanks, and stop them in their tracks with an EMP mission, before nailing them with the Fire Mission.

Just a few thoughts.