Problem with movie files in PBEM play

atiff

Hi all,

I am having a problem with some of the movie files from PBEM turns. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem before.

There are two ways in which this problem manifests:

I) sometimes when I hit 'play' on the movie controls, the counter skips to some weird negative time number (like 0:-65535) and starts counting towards 0:00. Some units on the map move, but do so in straight lines, and not in accordance with the orders they had been given, even dissappearing off the map edge. If I hit 'start' (as in 'back to start of movie') it *sometimes* fixes itself, goes back to 0:00 and plays normally.

II) sometimes when I hit 'play' the timer skips immediately to the end of the file (0:60 sec) and no matter what I do it won't show me the file as you would normally expect (one second at a time). Using 'back' and 'fwd' I can see parts of the file at 10-sec intervals, but it's almost impossible to figure out what is going on.

In both cases, these things happens irregularly, but if it happens once to a PBEM file, then it keeps repeating the same thing every time I try to look at that file. Other files *might* work OK. In the case of situation #1, it happened once before and a complete CMBO reinstall seemed to fix it. Situation #2 didn't get fixed by a reinstall which I did this morning.

FYI, I'm running a 450 MHz chip, with 192 Mb of Ram, and using a Viper 770 video card. I had been running everything in CMBO successfully for several months, this problem has only just come up, and nothing has changed with my computer system (no hardware or software changes). I also have that known problem with the white text not showing up correctly, but I know what causes that and am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the current problem.

Help?

Cheers,

Andrew Tiffany

I've heard of this problem before, though I haven't had it happen to me. Apparently this problem seems to be caused by video drivers. There have also been other indications that some software loaded up on the machine may be a possible culprit too.

Your Viper 770 is an NVidia TNT2 chip and some of the previous posters with this problem had NVidia chipsets (though it wasn't common in every instance of this problem).

You'll want to make sure that everything else is closed down to avoid interference from other programs. Do you know what drivers you have loaded up for your video card ?

Hi,

Thanks (in advance) for your help.

The drivers I am using are the ones from the NVidia site - ver23.11 IIRC, pretty recent. These were installed by our sysadmin (I run CM at work as well as home - at home I have a GeFroce II and no problems).

Anyway, it could be a conflict with other programs like you say. I leave my PC on all the time as it is a source for some file sharing at work.

The problem actually seems to have fixed itself after I did a reboot (involuntary smile.gif ), so here's hoping it remains stable for a while.

Thanks again,

Andrew Tiffany