How moddable will this game be?....

Gian

Hi Moon

I was wondering how moddable this game is. Will it be possable for modders to tweak the 3D models etc. As you mentioned that Battlefront will release an add-on tank is this the only way will will get new tank models?

I was just wondering as I have really high hopes for this game but I really want a more detailed T-72 model. Missing bin on side of turret, no gunners' sight on top of turret ect, no exhaust, incorrectly textured side skirts. I don't want to sound like a pain, but look at flight sims that is out there, everyone is striving for the most accurate 3D models and why should our beloved tank sims be any different.

I simpy love to see my tank fire a shot from the external view as it kicks up dust and the gin recoils, amazing!!!!!!

Anyway, I know I posted before about things missing from the model and I know it is just eye candy really, but it would be nice as the game already looks great, I would just like those few extras on my tank models. (t-72 in particular)

And hey if you don't ask you don't get smile.gif

Please advise.

Thanks,

Gian

One thing you've got to remember about flight sims: Even the best looking flight sims have terrain that is VASTLY simplified compared to the terrain in any ground based sim.

The more accurate you make the terrain, the less polys you can put into the models themselves. When you consider the number of polys used to make models such as the MiG-29 or Su-25 varants in LO-MAC, to use the same number of polys in a tank would mean your terrain would have to hardly more than a green surface over a basic mesh. From the air LO-MAC (IMHO) is the best looking flight sim out at present. But, if you have a copy of it, get down low and ask yourself if you would be prepared to accept that terrain in a ground based sim. I wouldn't.

The bottom line is it's a trade off that's necessary due to the limitations of PC hardware.

Originally posted by Gian:

Mmm. somehow I really don;t think that those small extras would make such a big difference to frame rates at all

Quite true, at current detail levels the couple of small items you mentioned specifically would make no difference at all.

I was refering to your comment about 3D models in a tank sim not being as accurate as an aircraft in a flight sim.

Originally posted by Jester_159th:

One thing you've got to remember about flight sims: Even the best looking flight sims have terrain that is VASTLY simplified compared to the terrain in any ground based sim.

The more accurate you make the terrain, the less polys you can put into the models themselves. When you consider the number of polys used to make models such as the MiG-29 or Su-25 varants in LO-MAC, to use the same number of polys in a tank would mean your terrain would have to hardly more than a green surface over a basic mesh. From the air LO-MAC (IMHO) is the best looking flight sim out at present. But, if you have a copy of it, get down low and ask yourself if you would be prepared to accept that terrain in a ground based sim. I wouldn't.

The bottom line is it's a trade off that's necessary due to the limitations of PC hardware.

May be, but the scenery is much bigger that any ground sim, if Lomac had the T72BiF scenery, they could use more polygons to the terrain detail.

Many of the aircraft in FS with extreme poly counts though have features such as interiors, VC's, visible passengers, etc... (any one or combination of the above).

A tank model would need nowhere close to 30,000-50,000 polys to look excellent. smile.gif

[ July 20, 2005, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Arklight ]