Tweaking the graphics for higher frame-rate

I’m still tweaking my graphics options to get the best frame-rates balanced with good graphics quality. The best test for me is to see how high I can get the frame-rate when zoomed in to the max in the gunners site. I usually hold around 6.9 when zoomed in.

I’m looking for players who find that perfect balance and what settings you use in the configurator.

horizon set to 2000 meters

grass shown at 70 meters

advanced grass turned on

extra dust turned off

high quality trees turned on

Pentium 4

1 GIG RAM

GeForce 5700 128sdram

Soundblaster Audigy

2x250 HD

Win XP SP2, all updated

1024x768x32@75 Desktop and games

Two settings which I found very useful that seem to speed up the game but have next to no impact on overall visual quality seem to be "cloud levels" as well as "hi-polygon grass". Set cloud levels to 8 or lower and turn hi-poly grass off (I find the normal textured grass plenty enough).

If you run a low-end machine, make sure that you activate "low-end video". This turns off, among other things, bump mapping and will improve perfromance a lot (at the cost of visual quality though).

Lastly, one good thing to do - when you run the config program, click on "Troubleshooting". This runs a quick and simple comparison of your hardware and can sometimes come up with good tips to improve performance (e.g. it'll tell you when you don't have enough VRAM and what to do).

Martin