Drawing out the enemy

Anyone got any good tactics for drawing out the enemy?

How do you entich a rather defensive or shall we say careful player out into making their attack?

Played a PBEM, where I spent ages just waiting for a sight of him, so in the end just bundled everyone forward and waited for his counter attack(then was blown apart!)

If you can take all the best ground 1st then thats an adv. but surely being able to know the exact disposition of your enemy and then counter attack is a better option?

I have been trying to get my inf in positions where they are too tough to root out by inf alone and so require him to commit armour. Then if lucky have my AT cover these positions to take out the armour then move in my armour to defeat his inf and reinforce the position with some more inf.

However to draw out the enemy one really has to convince him that this is a full scale attack, so I cant seem to get it right on how much of my force to use. Also throw into the pot if the ground doesnt suit you and the ememy armour can pound you without revealing himself to you, plus arty dropping on your position it all seems a bit of a tough nut to crack!

Originally posted by Horncastle:

Anyone got any good tactics for drawing out the enemy?

It really depends a lot on the type of battle you're playing.

If you're defending, It's easy. Just wait for him and make sure you have a mobile reserve in case the attack comes where you didn't expect it.

If you're attacking, cover your approach as best you can with terrain, smoke and covering fire from tanks and support weapons (HMGs, 81-2mm mortars, etc.) Concentrate your attack and make him react to you.

If it's a meeting engagement, you can try either of the above depending on situation and which style you're better at. Some folks like to rush the flags then 'defend' them. Others like to let the enemy spread themselves out rushing for the flags then smack them with a co-ordinated attack. Either way, scouting and keeping a reserve are both essential.

Scouting is incredibly important whether attacking or defending.

On the attack, remember that your attack does not have to come all over the map. pick a side, and attack it hard. if you can penetrate, he will either have to come to you or you can roll him up. his defense is always best to the front, not the sides. if you break one flank, it is easier to break his entire position.

On defense, have a good reserve, and dig in on the best terrain. Defend in front of the flags and have a fall back position, to the flags. From a platoon of inf, put two squads in the line, and one at the fall back position. this allows for foxholes to retreat into.

Best of luck. Oh-and start with medium sized scenarios. The big ones are a lot to handle and the small ones sometimes require great tactical skill to win.

This is a great game, and should be enjoyed.