Problems witn unreadable text - Update

Hi...

I'm using Windows 2000, and so for a few games, the refresh rate will be lowly 60 hertz.

Thus I use a refresh rate tool that helps keep the rate at 100, which is the optimum for my screen.

Unfortunatly, since I installed SP3 this fix gives me blocky, unreadable text in CMBB. I'm using 30.82 Drivers on a Geforce 4 ti 4400 BTW.

I've come to a point where I'm about to quit on CMBB. I have anti-aliasing problems, black screen, tabin, tab out, okay, so far I could bear with that. But now I have to run other games at eye-damaging 60 hertz refresh rate otherwise CMBB Text Display goes to the fritz.

If there's a solution known for these, please...tell me. If there's no solution, then I'll have to reconsider constantly downgrading my computer just so I can keep playing one single game.

I have read trough the topics here, I know that these are Nvidia Problems etc.etc.etc. However, to me it is really worrysome that I have a KILLER Maschine, and have to bent all other games around CMBB - everthing else runs very nice.

[ April 04, 2003, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: RSColonel_131st ]

The refresh rate should have no bearing on the text and those driver (30.82) should not display any anti-aliasing issues. FSAA ussues began with the 41.09 drivers. The solution is to simply disable it the if you choose to use those drivers.

What I would do is unistall the 30.82's, then install the Standard VGA driver. That will clear out any old Nvidia drivers that could be causing problems. Then reinstall the 30.82's.

Be sure and delete the Combat Mission BB Prefs file before you try and relaunch the game after you do the above.

Let me know what happens.

Madmatt

Thanks for the info Madmatt, but after installing SP3 for Windows I did exactly that. Because after SP3 everthing was screwy, didn't even load most of the time.

So I uninstalled the Nvidia Drivers, installed Default VGA Drivers, used a NV-Remove Tool to remove all old driver files from my system folder, reboot, then installed the 30.82's. That made it work again, but the Quincunx FSAA looks horrible (It blurs everthing, not just the edges) and the black screen problems are here again. I dont have any problems with FSAA when running at 4x, but 4x standard setting is to high for my newer games.

Okay, after I had everthing running again, I then installed the Refresh Rate Fix...and Boom, no readable text anymore. White text becomes a white block, blue text becomes a blue block...etc.

I removed the fix again, and it works as usual - that is with black screens and bad FSAA Quality, but playable.

Most of the newer games dont need a refresh rate fix anymore anyway, but I have one that does...and playing at 60 hertz is not an option.

I will try to delete the pref file after applying the fix tomorrow. Maybe that helps. Can't do it today since I won't be at home. Will let you know how that works out.

Okay, did not work.

I applied the refresh rate fix, rebooted, deleted the pref file, and started CMBB. Even the screen resolution text was blocky already.

I dont know what the Fix got to do with the Drivers, other than that it also writes some values into the registry.

It has nothing to do with FSAA...I tried 4x, and while the black screens go away with 4x instead of Quincunx, I STILL get blocky text.

It's a clean installation of 30.82's on a Win2K SP3 Maschine with 2000 XP+ AMD CPU, 512 DDR Ram, Geforce 4 Ti 4400 Graphics Card. Problem exsists since applying SP3 for Windows 2000.

BTS please fix or do somefink...I can not constantly downgrade my gaming experience with other games just for CMBB. Everthing else would run fine...

It probably won't make a difference, but are you running at 100Hz in CMBB or whatever refresh rate you have 'Refresh Fix' setup for ? Which 'Refresh Fix' are you running, is it the 'NVRefresh Tool' ? Is there a way to just turn it off (and possibly reboot) in order to play CM (as Madmatt already suggested) ?

Perhaps you should be upset at the other game's developers since they're the only ones that require the Refresh Rate fix now.

Okay, as per Matt's Idea I tried the whole thing again, clean install, and refresh rate tool 2.1a

It still doesn't work. Still the same text problems.

Schrullenhaft, I'm not upset at all the other game developers because all their games work with my maschine. They work with FSAA, without Alt-Tabbing to hell and back etc.

Madmatt, if you're reading this, please take a look at Windows 2000 SP3 - this only started after it. But I need SP3 to fix a bug in another game I use...

I think I will abandon CMBB until a solution is found. Maybe I can get an old Laptop somewhere or similar...it seems CMBB needs it's own computer to run proberly.