Wooden MG bunker taken out from front?

Monwar

You are very unlikely to hurt the bunker with mere small arms, including a Vickers. Much better is any form of direct fire AT style weapon. A PIAT will do the trick as others have mentioned. Mortars and FOs aren't good at it (though in CMBO only, the wooden ones only are pretty wimpy, and a direct hit even by mid-sized HE can do it). A light tank or AA gun is the best counter.

Originally posted by JasonC:

You are very unlikely to hurt the bunker with mere small arms, including a Vickers. Much better is any form of direct fire AT style weapon. A PIAT will do the trick as others have mentioned. Mortars and FOs aren't good at it (though in CMBO only, the wooden ones only are pretty wimpy, and a direct hit even by mid-sized HE can do it). A light tank or AA gun is the best counter.

OK Jason and lazysack, should I try to hit the bunker with the PIAT from front. My PIAT can now get a target line to it with 4% hit chance. So I won't use it now. But can a PIAT actually take out an wooden MG bunker from front?

IAT (PIAT, zook, etc) are perfectly capable of taking out a wooden bunker from the front. The problem with this tactic is that it puts the IAT team in the line of fire of the MG bunker. Unless the team KOs the bunker on its first or second shot, chances are the bunker (and any other enemy with LOS) will direct all their fire on the threatening IAT team, and it won't get any more shots off.

You're probably a bit better off attacking from the front with a PIAT - they have a smaller firing signature and so are less likely to be spotted when firing. Bunkers spot pretty darn well to their front, so I doubt you'll get more than two shot off before the PIAT is spotted, though.

Cheers,

YD