Greece: Operation Marita question

Fred19

Well, besides the facts that it is very VERY hard to win this camp when playing the allied side (how can you defeat the HE 111s and the Bf109 Emils with your crappy Hurris and even crappier Gladiators ?) and that you will find your leader in a disadvantaged position at the start of a scenario even when he's got the first move (but that's a thing that happened to me in other dogfights and campaign missions before), I'd like to know what's the use of the Swordfish in that campaign? Is there a scenario when you have to attack an Axis target? If so, it keeps eluding me... ;)

Hi Fred,

Yes its very hard to win as allies, and thats how its designed smile.gif Its hard because yes Gladiators and Hurricanes did suck vs the Germans onslaught. It was over pretty quickly.

As far as the swordfish being there, the 815 Squadron had 6 there and they did make a few runs before being withdrawn to Crete. There actually is an Axis ground target but maybe I should remove it.

Thanks for the imput.

-Ray

IIRC "To war in a Stringbag" has a few chapters on FAA Swordfish ops against the Italians in Albania from Greece - it's ben a long time sine I read the book tho.

Also the Greeks had 9 Swordfish in 11th Mira as part of their Naval co-op command, and 21st Mira in their fighter command received 20 Gladiators from 2 December 1940 - see http://www.geocities.com/ww2greece/ - the PZL-24's are sadly not represented :(

To the other question:

If an (enemy) leader has the "Eagle Eyes" skill, there is a chance that you start (dis)advantaged if you begin at the same altitude.

Btw: I would LOVE to see the polish planes represented, the PZL-11 could stand for the PZL-24 with "high performance" and "redline" skills.

So how about an polish fighter and an polish bomber (the PZL-23 "Karas") in the british roster? Many polish pilots were fighting for Britain.

Originally posted by BremerWeltmeister:

To the other question:

If an (enemy) leader has the "Eagle Eyes" skill, there is a chance that you start (dis)advantaged if you begin at the same altitude.

Thanks for the explanation. Didn't know about that.

I thought "Eagle Eyes" would give the pilot a bigger chance to get the first move. :confused:

Originally posted by BremerWeltmeister:

Btw: I would LOVE to see the polish planes represented, the PZL-11 could stand for the PZL-24 with "high performance" and "redline" skills.

So how about an polish fighter and an polish bomber (the PZL-23 "Karas") in the british roster? Many polish pilots were fighting for Britain.

But polish pilots were flying british planes.

I prefer to ask Poland as a nation. it's more historical

Yeah but there'd be room for a PZL-24 in the Greek campaign as there were so many Greek ones about ....well 24 aparently! smile.gif

However Greek bombers were Fairey Battles, Blenheims and Potez 63's so no PZL 23's I'm sorry.

Originally posted by Kindred:

But polish pilots were flying british planes.

I prefer to ask Poland as a nation. it's more historical

Well, they were both. During the german attack on Poland they were fighting there, but after the situation was hopeless many fled via romania, hungary and france to england to continue their fight there. Poland as an onw nation would be unplayable because of their lack of planes, but as a part of the british roster they would fit nice.