AI smarter?

Guest Mike

I noticed the AI pilots are no longer ditching cards down to the level where they get the maximum number of redraws each turn - eg if a plane had 7 performance and 3 HP ist would always discard enough cards to have only 4 left so it could draw 3.

I've just had a couple of games where AI pilots have been retaining 10, 11, 12 even 13 cards in their hads between moves!!

makes them a lot tougher!!

Oh and this was before MadMatt shut the server down tonight!

[ January 17, 2006, 12:21 AM: Message edited by: Stalin's Organist ]

I noticed it a few days ago. The plane was diving down from higher altitude and didn't do nothing. Hey I was waiting for the card dump, and it didn't happen. I said they are getting smarter. Now if you can get the bots to stop ACEING manauver cards that would make them better. My bots do it all the time. That's why they are shot out of the sky by turn 2. Leaving me a 4 on 2 battle. Not good! ;)

Actually I have noticed the leaders going after the wingman more lately too.

And John you are a champion now, 4 on 2 is a cake walk for someone of your magnitude!!! Sheesh pretty soon you will be professing your love for Spitfires and get beaten down by a developers son. Hope you like sheepskin lawn chairs!!!! smile.gif

-Ray

We slipped that change in about a week ago without any fanfare to see if anyone noticed. As you mentioned, the Bots will no longer dump cards under certain circumstances.

When it does discard, it uses a more scientific approach in deciding which cards to dump. Basically, it assigns a value to each card in its hand based on the current situation (i.e., position, multiples, etc.) and then gets rid of the lowest value cards first.

We'll be improving other decision making logic such as changing altitude (the Bots will no longer aggressively pursue), and choosing cards to play.

Originally posted by Mistura:

I noticed it a few days ago. The plane was diving down from higher altitude and didn't do nothing. Hey I was waiting for the card dump, and it didn't happen. I said they are getting smarter. Now if you can get the bots to stop ACEING manauver cards that would make them better. My bots do it all the time. That's why they are shot out of the sky by turn 2. Leaving me a 4 on 2 battle. Not good! ;)

I noticed the changes last week. It does make the bots tougher. Surprised that Stalin is just now seeing the change. The enemy bots are Aceing my manuever cards as well. Most of the time they are playing it fairly smartly though. The changes that Brain mentions should make things even more interesting.

Yeah, what Tornado said. I saw that last week too when I noticed they ditched punching holes in my bombers to power dive my butt. Even more so when I tried to squirm away :D

Apparently I don't have the "running away frantically" skills StalinO has that kept him in the Tourney so long...... tongue.gif

If it's been happeneing for a few days then it must've been happening at low card numbers to me - I only noticed it when they weer retaining 10+ cards - a 'bot plane with 13 in it's hand stands out a bit! smile.gif