Spotters benefit from HQs?

Monwar

Originally posted by kingjames:

Sorry to get off subject again, but I haven't used the axis much. So what you guys are telling me is that the close fight I am in now it is not wise to have my rocket spotter next to platoon headquarters drop rockets while the battle lines are less than a 100meters? Even though I have line of sight? I guess I best recall those fire orders or start withdrawing my troops.

You definitely want to belay that order. Rockets have a spread on the order of a 400m radius. They also appear to have a higher chance of a 'wild' shell than guns - I've occasinally seen an individual rocket land as much as 600m off target. They are a cheap, wide area of effect weapon. The advantage of them is that you get a lot of bang for your buck, and also that the rockets fall all at once in a big group, so you get an immediate surprise and shock effect.

They're much more useful in CMBB where most larger off-board assets have be used in 'pre-planned' barrages due to very long delay times. In CMBO, generally your best bet with rockets is to just aim them in the general direction of your opponent's likely setup zones and hope for the best.

Cheers,

YD

LOL an evil sprit in my copy of CMBO, well I have heard it all now <G>. I have arty fall in uncalled areas all the time I guess it's time someone told me the secret rule LOL. I don't post things that don't happen so I wonder what the heck is going on since all of you have NEVER had this problem????? Senario depentant maybe??? I am really confused now smile.gif

Nah - you're not confused, we're all in lalaland, remember? ;)

Seriously, I can't even figure out how to set up a test scenario to mimic the specific circumstances in which you say this happens. But if you want to send me one that shows it, I'd be happy to look at it.

Regards

JonS

I suspect the secret lies in the "radius" that certain calibers fall in. I may be calling too large a caliber for the area and thereby producing "friendly fire", I noticed last night in a 3000 point QB defensive setup that I called in 4.2 mortar rounds and some fell short but most landed on the advancing enemy (by short I mean they fell in what I suspect is the radius for 4.2 and my men were too close to that radius).

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Jim Harrison:

I suspect the secret lies in the "radius" that certain calibers fall in. I may be calling too large a caliber for the area and thereby producing "friendly fire", I noticed last night in a 3000 point QB defensive setup that I called in 4.2 mortar rounds and some fell short but most landed on the advancing enemy (by short I mean they fell in what I suspect is the radius for 4.2 and my men were too close to that radius).

That's probably right. If you are looking for a close range barrage, use smaller calibers. A good combination is a 75 - 105mm howitzer FO to pound the enemy into submission, break his troops, etc., until your forces are 200m away. Then, sub in an 81mm barrage on top of the enemy and call off the heavy stuff. Charge. The smaller arty will keep broken and panicked enemy units from rallying, allowing your charging troops to seize the position.

On a side note, I think you get sarcastic replies because your initial posts are quite caustic.

Just a thought.

Steve

were rolling barrages really used in company size fights in WWII?

I think of rolling barrages in WWI.

In CMBO I use artillery the modern way, which I thought was the WWII way as well. Move my infantry up. When I find enemy infantry dug in to a strong position, I call in artillery to pound them for a few turns until they run away or are too suppressed to fight back. Then I cancel the artillery and rush with my infantry.

I never seem to have a problem with rounds landing on my troops, and they are usually under 200m away.

My CMBO experience was generally that arty spotters tended to be too accurate. Yes those short rounds can be a bitch, I once had the very last round of a barrage go short an KO one of my Shermans, but I found map fire to be so accurate that I rarely bothered to stress about LOS for my FOs.

Rockets on the other hand...I have seen barrages where 75 percent of them land in the correct grid and even one where, I'm not kidding here, no two hits were less than 100 meters appart. In CMBO rockets were more of a hey neat thing than a really useful tool.